• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Readigrass - Has anyone else found the following

d2007ave

Young Bun
Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced the following,

We have fed readigrass for a long time now, it is our bunnies favourite forage, and a more reliable feed than hay in terms of consistancy. We have always bought the 1kg bags which generally cost £4, so over the week quite expensive.

We found out they also sell a 15kg bag which we bought, expecting it to be same quality as the 1kg bags and it just wasn't..... in fact our rabbits will not eat a single bite of it!

The dried readigrass is a lot less stalky than normal and in fact contains a lot of dead yellow grass, that would have been dead before it was cut

was i wrong to assume the 15kgs bags were the same as the 1kgs? (perhaps yes as cost difference?) but it would be good to know your experiences with these larger bags

with thanks David + Tommy and Flopsy (hay converts)

I know what you mean. There is actually quite a lot of inconsistency in the size of the large bales anyway, some having been much stalkier than others.

But now you come to mention it I do remember thinking that when I've seen the smaller bags here (coming in with boarding rabbits) that the grass does seem much stalkier and longer with a lot less chaff/dust.

I wonder if it's worth asking Friendship Estates if there is a reason for this - maybe they think that horses don't mind and don't realise how many of us rabbity people buy the bigger bales.

I think it's just the luck of the draw to be honest. I've had 15kg bales which are far better quality than the 1kg bags. My last large bale was lovely - long stalky strands and the buns loved it. However, the newest bale is a much shorter chop, very dark green and rather dusty. The buns are still eating it but they're not so keen. It is, after all, a natural product so it must vary just as much as our bales of hay.

I know what you mean. There is actually quite a lot of inconsistency in the size of the large bales anyway, some having been much stalkier than others.

But now you come to mention it I do remember thinking that when I've seen the smaller bags here (coming in with boarding rabbits) that the grass does seem much stalkier and longer with a lot less chaff/dust.

I wonder if it's worth asking Friendship Estates if there is a reason for this - maybe they think that horses don't mind and don't realise how many of us rabbity people buy the bigger bales.

Thanks The Dutchess, i will ask Friendships estates next time i email them, they've asked me for the batch reference so will be emailing them tonight, i'll reply back once i have heard

I think it's just the luck of the draw to be honest. I've had 15kg bales which are far better quality than the 1kg bags. My last large bale was lovely - long stalky strands and the buns loved it. However, the newest bale is a much shorter chop, very dark green and rather dusty. The buns are still eating it but they're not so keen. It is, after all, a natural product so it must vary just as much as our bales of hay.

Thanks Mackers, its encouraging to hear that some of the bales are pretty good, i might see about buying another once i have sorted out my initial problem,

cheers for your reply

It's worth googling readigrass 1kg as I've found some for £2.90 there will be postage but if you buy a couple you will still be saving ;)

I've had the same problems with the 1kg bags - one bag Rolo will devour and another bag he won't touch! At the moment, I have two bags and he won't eat either! He prefers the greener flatter stalks!

I've never had an issue with Readigrass, though the large bales last my bunnies for months so I haven't really bought that many I guess. Interesting though, I'm about to buy another bale so I hope its OK.

I only buy the 15kg bags which are about £12, so with a lot of buns it is the only way to be able to afford it! But yes the quality does vary, I found that after it was unavailable for months the quality was poor, with it being very fine to start with, but the bales coming in now and great - long and stalky with no dust, they are all loving it!

I've had a 15kg bag for months now and the quality is beautiful, havent found a yellow stalk in it at all, beautiful lush and green,,,

Maybe its a bad batch?.

Fee x

My latest 15kg bale is the darkest green I've ever had :shock:. It is a bit dusty though - the last batch wasn't.

Can I ask how much readigrass peopele feed? Mine love it but they only get a small sprinkling in their hay because I read it is was quite high in something (can't remember what, calcium? protein?), if I can I would like to give them more. Especially as I think Peter is looking a bit on the thin side, although as my Dad said, that could just be because I 'need' something to worry about :roll::lol:

I tend to mix a handful in with normal meadow hay (usually every other day) just to make them forage & hope that it encourages them to eat more of the other hay too :thumb:

Oh ok thanks, seems I am giving about the right smount then. I sprinkle in with the hay too to encourage foraging.

Back