• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Escapologists strike again

Clare-uk

Mama Doe
So I posted a while back when one of my new girls escaped to next door - well its happened again! Been out & came home to find 2 notes through the door, one saying both your rabbits are in our garden & another note saying I think your rabbits are out again!

Got them both back now though, after wandering around in the rain with torches for an hour. I've found the escape route as well, they removed a large block of wood & then dug quite an impressive hole!

Think I may need to rename them Hou & Dini lol

Hehe bless them pippin had the fright of his life when he escaped to the neighbours garden and was chased by 2 staffies. We always say hes on his second life a very lucky escape indeed!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Do you mean they managed to escape from their run and your garden? I would be worried that if they could dig out, something could dig in to get to them.

Yes they did manage to escape the garden, their run was to my knowledge secure - had buns there nearly 10 years no problem but these two seem to be quite big thinkers & can get round obstacles! I have a handyman booked in first thing in the morning & have made things more secure tonight. They got out from underneath the hutch by pulling away a large wooden block that was attached (not now) then under that there is an old tree stump & about 1/4 of a slab space that is dirt with large pebbles placed like crazy paving style with dry mortar which is where they dug under the fence to next door :(

Luckily I'm friendly with the neighbours & they love animals so they kept an eye on them for me even put a dish of water down :)

Oh my they must have been working on it for days before actual escape :shock:

I have had to mesh both my runs within 4 weeks due to escapes :shock: little darlings ain't they:lol:

Yes they did manage to escape the garden, their run was to my knowledge secure - had buns there nearly 10 years no problem but these two seem to be quite big thinkers & can get round obstacles! I have a handyman booked in first thing in the morning & have made things more secure tonight. They got out from underneath the hutch by pulling away a large wooden block that was attached (not now) then under that there is an old tree stump & about 1/4 of a slab space that is dirt with large pebbles placed like crazy paving style with dry mortar which is where they dug under the fence to next door :(

Rabbits really are escape artists aren't they!

Screws in place & a new slab cemented in with green metal school fencing laid underneath for extra security ;) we have the fencing over our pond & an adult can walk over the middle of the pond so it's def bunny proof!

Screws in place & a new slab cemented in with green metal school fencing laid underneath for extra security ;) we have the fencing over our pond & an adult can walk over the middle of the pond so it's def bunny proof![/QUOTE]

..... famous last words .........."It's definitely bunny proof" .......;)

Rupert is an absolute :censored: for digging and trying to escape.
You would think that he would be content, we have a pretty big garden and he is allowed to free range every day, but he loves digging. It's understandable, as he is a rabbit! I wouldn't mind if he was digging in the middle of the grass, but it's always digging by the fence or wall, he has almost dug out by now I'm sure. We block up every hole with a concrete slab so he can't go back to it or get under it. :lol:

I've even caught April digging as well now, Rupert must have egged her on because she never dug with Benji. :lol:

Screws in place & a new slab cemented in with green metal school fencing laid underneath for extra security ;) we have the fencing over our pond & an adult can walk over the middle of the pond so it's def bunny proof![/QUOTE]

..... famous last words .........."It's definitely bunny proof" .......;)

After I wrote it I did think oops but I do know that they couldn't chew through thick steel, plus they'd have lift the cemented slab first & get past the screwed blocks of wood all in a couple of hours because i dont leave them alone for long anyway, so I hope they can't!!

My bridge bun Molly (miss her so much, lost her July this yr :( ) lived there 9.5 yrs and never even attempted to get out, she used to just sit on the tree stump so had full access all the time so she & her husbun could have done it. Though my jazz (now 6.5) is a bit of a clean bun so don't think he would like the mud!

I have a Hou and a Dini (Molly and Smokey) who are always free ranging.
Saturday morning they had been out first thing about 8am got a phone call
from next door .Saying your 2 buns are in next door to me.
Next door are great as occasionally they find their way there,they even
leave a chair their side of the fence and say just climb over which I do and
the buns give me that innocent look and promptly disappear under the fence back home.

But this was new territory ,there are no dogs in there I know that much.
Thought it was too early to ring on door bell .
So my neighbour showed me a gap in the fence to get in there garden felt very guilty but had
to be done.
Spotted them straight away .Again got the innocent stare.
Then to my horror disappeared under a patio of decking.
It was about a foot off the ground .
So laying on the grass shouting (mostly swearing) as 2 buns just casually
sat there as if to say ''We have found a new hiding place''
Half hour later after much persuasion and promises they came out
and disappeared and presumably returned home.
When I got back into our garden .They were both sitting in their run almost
laughing at me with my wet clothes after lying on the grass .
Think I did not shut the door to their run properly.
A lesson learnt.
Strange they know they had done wrong:)

Hehe sounds similar I was certain my garden was very secure. They aren't allowed free run of it unless we're home and we check on them every 5 or 10 minutes but in the summer they loved roaming the garden. Our back garden is crazy paved with dry mortar in between and 6 foot high fencing all around. I check the perimeter of the garden once a week to ensure their are no holes anywhere. Anyways, it seems that Pippin managed to squeeze between fence panels which had begun wobbling in the wind even though these did have bricks down them as well to try and hold them in place. I still don't know how he fit through such a tiny gap... he couldn't get back through it but somehow he managed to get in through it. Fortunately the neighbour was able to chase her dogs back into the house whilst I looked on in terror through the fence calling Pippin and waving a carrot through a tiny hole lol! Pippin was very lucky that day!!!! Since then he hasn't been free roam in the garden at all especially as the weather has changed as well, instead he gets to let of steam in the house lol!

Oh the looks the little so and so's give you! What are you doing here lol before hiding in some impossible to reach place. I worry about what they are munching on when their out in other gardens too.

It really is amazing the tiny gaps they can get out of, I guess they just breathe in & go for it hehe

Sounds like we all have some understanding neighbours though :D like that they leave a chair for you Molly

Oh the looks the little so and so's give you! What are you doing here lol before hiding in some impossible to reach place. I worry about what they are munching on when their out in other gardens too.

It really is amazing the tiny gaps they can get out of, I guess they just breathe in & go for it hehe

Sounds like we all have some understanding neighbours though :D like that they leave a chair for you Molly

A bit of a dig and a squeeze ,they can fit through anywhere.:lol:

Back