• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Has just cut 2 of my buns nails.... and

moi

Mama Doe
feeling proud of myslef! :DI felt a bit mean having to hold them in the sitting position. I dont think Ill ever be able to do Timmys without looking like Id been in a fight!

nice! well done :D

i am not brave enough to do mine :oops: i have to master the holding first!

I was dreading it but they had got really long, and Im saving my pennies for Tims op. I held and trimmed and my Son held the fur back. They have such fluffy toes! :lol:

Well done!
Is so scary isn't it but am hoping it gets easier!
I've managed 3 paws - one more and the dew claws to go

I always hold as my dad cuts the nails :oops: I'm so terrified of hurting Sonic... although my dad's done it all these years and we've had a slight bleed or two but nothing that's hurt/traumatised him, so maybe I should just grow some balls and do it myself? He's very relaxed around me after all. He would be a little annoyed after, but would soon be back to normal...

I always hold as my dad cuts the nails :oops: I'm so terrified of hurting Sonic... although my dad's done it all these years and we've had a slight bleed or two but nothing that's hurt/traumatised him, so maybe I should just grow some balls and do it myself? He's very relaxed around me after all. He would be a little annoyed after, but would soon be back to normal...

I think Tonic is having a sulk but he is a grumpy bun naturally, hes like an old man :shock: But Peggy darted straight out into thier outhouse, then 2 mnutes later came into the living room and flopped down :)

I havent got the guts gonna take them to vets in jan for a pedicure maybe after watxhing ill feel better

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

What is an average/ healthy nail length? Obviously the longer they've gone without a clip the longer the quick grows. I would like to keep the nails down as much as possible as soon as possible so we dont end up with huge quicks! :p

Well done you :D I could never do Honey or Cookies as they don't like to be held or picked up we can stroke them but that's it, we're continuing to work with them but if that's what they want it's fine by me as long as they're happy that's all that matters.

Well done :D I took mine to the vets yesterday to have theirs clipped but after seeing how calm they were about being held the vet suggested that I could do it myself in future :shock: we will have to wait and see if I have the confidence to give it a go!!!

Well done! I have done it once before but not sure I made much difference. Too frightened of hurting them, even though they hurt me with their sharp claws :oops:

Super well done!! I went the opposite way with mine. Used to clip nails on both of them not a problem for about 2 years. Then I got soft and couldnt do it anymore. I cant even be in the same room now Lol

Most of mine hate being handled but I'd rather do it than let them be stilt bunnies. I always need help with them but afterwards they get loads of fuss and treats so I'm hoping that takes away any iill-will towards me :lol:

Well done, its so scary to trim them but I do mine & do the piggies too :) have had only two mishaps over the years, I started doing it when one of my buns got so stressed travelling to the vets. I got them to show me how and now I lift one leg at a time & they just let me. Cuddles & treats afterwards x

What is an average/ healthy nail length? Obviously the longer they've gone without a clip the longer the quick grows. I would like to keep the nails down as much as possible as soon as possible so we dont end up with huge quicks! :p

Some people recommend to cut nails to the same length as the fur on the paw but as you've said, if left a long time the quicks grow longer, and also it wouldn't work for long haired rabbits or rex. What I tend to do is cut the nails, then put my hands under the rabbits front paws and lift my hands so they kind of end up stood on their back legs, but as they do this they tense their front claws (and dig them into your hands) and you can really feel how long they are and how much nail the rabbit is putting its weight on, so you can then use your best judgement to decide on if the nails are short enough or not. You can do it by slightly lifting one of their back paws too, if the nails are so long that the weight on the foot is concentrated at the very back and on the nails then the rabbit is going to get sore hocks so you need to cut as far down as you can

Back