• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wet Weather - advice please

sparkyblue87

Young Bun
Our rabbits live outdoors in a hutch, they have heatpads and lots of straw to keep them warm, as well as sheets insulating the outside of the cage. We let them out everyday for exercise.

Is it dangerous to let them out in the rain? Or recently wet patio floor and wet grass?

Anybody got any advice? I want to try to avoid bringing them indoors to prevent them becoming ill to the big change in temperatures.

Cheers

I use a double layer of bubblewrap on the outside of my hutch.

Do you have a run attached to the hutch so they have permanent access to it - rather than relying on you to let them out? They really don't mind the weather, as long as they can get into a warm, dry place at all times.

As well as my hutch, I also staple a couple of layers of bubblewrap to part of the run to keep some of it dry and sheltered from the wind/rain/snow.

I wouldn't want them out in the rain for long periods or at all if its heavy, to avoid their fur soaking to the skin. I assume it would be hard for them to dry properly if they get soaked, especially if its very cold. Though from my experience my rabbits will run for cover if it starts to rain heavily while I am out with them!

Agree with Babsie, a decent sized, secure run attached to their hutch is the best option, with tarpaulin or correx to give them a "roof".

Back