• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do bunnies moult in winter?

BigBunnyBenji

Mama Doe
This may sound like a stupid question, but I keep finding little clumps of fur from April in the shed.
I can't see any marks on her where it would be Rupert pulling it out and she doesn't look patchy or like she has fur missing. It's only her fur I find though, never Rupert's.

I thought maybe they moult a bit in winter to grow a winter coat, if that makes sense?!

My two are currently moulting, but they are indoors... I think they did moult when outdoors though, I assumed it was just them losing parts of their summer coat when they moulted in winter. I don't know why they're moulting indoors, there's been no temp change!

Doughnut is indoors and she moults twice a year. She has been finished for about 2 months but it seemed to go on forever!

Why don't you brush your rabbit and then you will soon see if it's moulting. It will also help them along so they don't ingest too much fur.

Doughnut is indoors and she moults twice a year. She has been finished for about 2 months but it seemed to go on forever!

Why don't you brush your rabbit and then you will soon see if it's moulting. It will also help them along so they don't ingest too much fur.

I don't generally brush April because she absolutely hates being picked up and I don't like stressing her out. :( She is quite short haired so she doesn't have a lot of fur generally.

I don't pick Doughnut up to brush her as she hates it, I brush her on the floor, she gets fed up after a while but I also do it when I give her her food then I manage to get lots of fur off!

I don't pick Doughnut up to brush her as she hates it, I brush her on the floor, she gets fed up after a while but I also do it when I give her her food then I manage to get lots of fur off!

April is quite nervy, she came from a bad home, she has made a lot of progress in the time we have had her though. She used to thump everytime we even came near her, but now she will let us come near her and be in the shed with her, and she will eat out of my hand. And she comes when I call as well. :) She doesn't like me touching her at all though really, the only time I can ever stroke her is if she is hiding under Rupert.

Yeah I was wondering this as well. I got Blackavar at the end of September and he was having a moult then. I assumed it was because he was outdoors, but he lives indoors with me now and this last week has been shedding like a good'un so I'm confused too :?

Mine are outdoor and they have a great big moult in summer, and a little one in winter :) altho it seems like tia constantly moults!

April is the only one moulting, they are both outdoor bunnies, but it's like proper clumps I find each time. But she doesn't look like she has bits of fur ripped out of her, her coat still looks perfect. So puzzled. :?

They can moult in winter but if it is clumps I would suggest there is a bit of fur pulling going on, my two go through phases of this (and they've been bonded over 3 years :roll:) I never find any bald patches, I think their fur is just so dense you can't tell.

Make sure you check the clumps for any tiny bits of attached skin - then you would need to check her over carefully, otherwise just keep an eye on things, lots of bonded pairs have spells of chasing and fur pulling. Does Rupert hump her? When Misty tries to hump Fog she holds on with her mouth and gets a clump of fur - it can be quite comical!

They can moult in winter but if it is clumps I would suggest there is a bit of fur pulling going on, my two go through phases of this (and they've been bonded over 3 years :roll:) I never find any bald patches, I think their fur is just so dense you can't tell.

Make sure you check the clumps for any tiny bits of attached skin - then you would need to check her over carefully, otherwise just keep an eye on things, lots of bonded pairs have spells of chasing and fur pulling. Does Rupert hump her? When Misty tries to hump Fog she holds on with her mouth and gets a clump of fur - it can be quite comical!

Rupert has never tried to hump her, not that I've seen! I have noticed that Rupert has started chasing her a little since they moved into the shed, I think it's because its a new area and it isn't all the time. They do still groom each other and sleep together.
I think he sometimes does it when he can smell Daisy, but since she has passed away he won't be able to smell her anymore. :/

My bunnies have always moulted at the beginning of winter & summer :) Niles currently has a skirt of fur around his waist. Hehe. Frasier used to be the same, he would always go darker as well (Niles is a REW, so obviously he doesn't. Lol). Oddly, Daphne isn't moulting at all! Weird. This is her first winter though.. They are both indoor bunnies :)

My two are outdoor bunnies. Nancy is moulting (second time since we got her in July) Will isn't. She gets a good brush every day (food bribes work well to keep her still) to stop either of them ingesting too much fur - especially as Will grooms her a lot and is half her size.

My indoor buns have started moulting again this past fortnight. It's not a particularly heavy one this time round, not like in the summer!!!

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

Back