• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any ideas? - update, good news :)

Domino27

Mama Doe
I posted earlier this month about Domino, eating like a trooper, but losing a lot of weight. GA done, no teeth problems but appeared to be a liver issue. Put on around 10 days worth of steroids (half a tablet per day), antibiotics (.2ml twice a day) and something called Samylin (to help liver, 1/5th pack per day with food). She'd dropped to 1.16kg, she's a smaller than average mini lop anyway and just felt like a bag of bones.

Anyway revisit to the vets and she'd only put on 40g so up to 1.2kg (my scales had said 1.29kg). Vet not happy with this, another injection of steroids and some more Samylin (very hard to get down her neck!!!). What I wasn't happy with was vet said if she'd not put on a substantial amount of weight by next check up (2 weeks time) they weren't going to bother with any meds and just leave her to live out her days. :(

She's wibbly on her back legs, i.e if she does a big back flop she struggles to get back up. She's not running around in circles, still running about, running to see me when I come to check up on them, bright eyes, not sitting and rocking etc. She's off her pellets completely now, not so keen on hay but still eating vegetables like there's no tomorrow. What's weird is that she eats a bit and then seems to forget what she's doing and runs off to investigate something else. So when I shove food in front of her it's like "oh yeah, that's what I was doing".

I'm not quite sure what to do!!

Last edited:
Poor Domino :cry:

How was the Liver function problem diagnosed-bloods ? U/S scan ? Liver Biopsy ?

What antibiotic did the Vet prescribe ?

Is Domino spayed ?

Poor Domino :cry:

How was the Liver function problem diagnosed-bloods ? U/S scan ? Liver Biopsy ?

What antibiotic did the Vet prescribe ?

Is Domino spayed ?

Bloods, supposed to have less than 75 enzymes per whatever blood amount and she had 250!
She was put on baytril and yes she was spayed at 6 months, regularly vaccinated as well.

Well took her back to the vets yesterday after she spent 5 days at my parents whilst I celebrated new year....and she now weighs a good healthy 1.56kg. My mum and dad fed her up a good'un. Vet very pleased to the point of her giving a biiig cuddle and wouldn't let her go for a good 5 mins and a low dosage of steroids just to top her up.

I am very happy :D

Back