• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jess is overweight

Newzealandwhites

Alpha Buck
So today when I was sitting watching Jess OH notices he looks over weight he is a REW I was led to believe he was a NEW Zealand White, I really don't think he is, To be honest I though he look overweight the other day he has a round face no neck and a large plump body and no signs of any ribs, Of course he eats well he gets piles of hay every day and a handful of ss in the morning, he is 6 months old this month, He is a A social little man and he doesn't like to be out of his run and hutch as he just gets so scared, he can see fine, I think the girl that accidently bred him might of done something when he was little this could explain why he does like me or any other rabbit, In the spring I plan to move him out side as I feel he would cope better with this, What would be the best way to lower his weight, just a bit concerned as I don't want him to have weight related problems, would it be ok to lower the ss now to a egg cup full instead of a handful,

How much does he weigh? Have you got a piccy of him?

Being scared/wary f new things and places could be to do with eyesight. I have 3 buns and one is blind in one eye and partially sighted in the other. She is very, very cautious when it comes to new things and places. She does much better now that she has other bunnies to "guide" her and show her where to go etc. It could be that he just doesn't have much confidence, but REWs do tend to be prone to blindness.

He isn't blind his eyes are very clear and he see every thing he just doesn't like it, :( I will put pics up tomorrow when camera is charged, would taking his ss down to a egg cup full instead of a handful be ok at 6 months would this reduce some weight or stop him putting extra on ?

He isn't blind his eyes are very clear and he see every thing he just doesn't like it, :( I will put pics up tomorrow when camera is charged, would taking his ss down to a egg cup full instead of a handful be ok at 6 months would this reduce some weight or stop him putting extra on ?

I'm not entirely sure at what age to drop his pellets down, but I think at 6 months that should be ok. Is he neutered?

What accommodation is he living it?

Yes he is neutered and he has a hutch and runs he has approx 44sq ft of space to himself so he has plenty of room to run where he feels safe :thumb:

Yes he is neutered and he has a hutch and runs he has approx 44sq ft of space to himself so he has plenty of room to run where he feels safe :thumb:

Are you sure he is not just fluffy? At this time of the year rabbits get big, thick winter coats. Can you feel his ribs and spine? It's difficult to gauge the weight of a bun just by looking at them, unless they are really obese/underweight. I check my bun's weight just by feel, if I think they have put weight on/lost weight, then I will weigh them to make sure. Most of the time it's just their coats making them look as though they have lost/gained weight. I was convinced that Fiver had put weight on...but at the vets he weighed in at 1.9kg, which is the same weight he has always been. :thumb:

I've seen my vets use something similar to this to determine whether a bunny is overweight or not.

http://www.waggfoods.com/content/uk/small-animal-feeding-guide-body-score-chart

My Honey was very chunky at one time (too many pet shop treats full of rather questionable ingredients). Here she is at her curviest (3.4kg)...

honey.jpg

We got her weight down with a reduction in her pellets (20g a day), a wider variety of hay being offered and cutting out sugary veg (carrot) and fruit aside from tiny pieces as a weekly treat. Now we tend to just feed her weeds and leafy veg (salad leaves, spring greens and the occassional kale). However I'm not sure how appropriate that'd be for a younger bunny.

This is her now
IMG_9601_zpsd1b32f1d.jpg

Last edited:
If he is very nervous and not sure around people, perhaps getting him a bossy female friend would help?

My April was exactly the same, she came from a bad home and used to thump everytime someone came near her. When we bonded her with Benji, she felt so much more secure, and the same when we bonded her with Rupert. Some rabbits just feel more confident and safe when they have the security of another rabbit and someone to 'lead' them. April has improved a lot now, she will take food out of my hand and sometimes allow me to touch her, though not often without pulling away quickly. She does come when I call them in though. :)

Back