• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying a Conti

xCupcakex

Young Bun
So Jessica is booked in to be spayed on the 27/12, and I'm dreading it already. I've only had experience of 1 spay before and it was horrible, Daisy took over a week to recover and was at vets every day. As she is a giant is there anything I should be especially aware of or any questions I should be asking the vet. I know that they can be susceptible to heart problems, how do these manifest themselves with a ga? She is only 6 months old with no known health problems. Am I doing the right thing?

Yes you are doing the right thing. We had both of our Conti girls spayed (and just as well ,they had started fighting and it would have got worse) without any problems, in fact it went more smoothly than with our little buns. Make sure the vet is going to be giving you pain relief to administer at home.

The vets I was going to get Daisy speyed at tried to charge me £140 due to her large size. I looked elsewhere though and Vets for Pets said they go off time rather than size, and were only going to charge me £70.

Good luck. :)
Enjoy every minute with your conti, I loved having Daisy. :cry:

It would be reasonable to charge a bit more, as they need more medication (calculated by weight). I was very glad to have found a much more rabbit savvy vet by the time Willow and Nettle were spayed. My initial vet practice had only ever seen one giant rabbit (and that belonged to the receptionist!).

I've registered Jessica with vets4pets, I've been recommended them by a few people. My other bunny is with Medivet but they are so expensive. When my bridge bun Daisy had an op they charged over £100 just for anesthetic and she was only a dwarf lop!

I always use Vets4Pets and I haven't really had a problem with them. The other vets I was going to start using messed up my appointments and prices so I'm not bothering going back.

Def the right thing to do :)

Medivet are actually reasonably priced for spays and castrations.. mine is £62 for spay and £57 for castrate. They did my british giant with no problems.. actually the nurse said they rang up Watford to speak to bunny expert at that branch and they tried a different way of anaesthetising him. This was possible because of the size of the veins in his ears, and they said he woke up extremely quickly.

Anyway, best of luck xx

Def the right thing to do :)

Medivet are actually reasonably priced for spays and castrations.. mine is £62 for spay and £57 for castrate. They did my british giant with no problems.. actually the nurse said they rang up Watford to speak to bunny expert at that branch and they tried a different way of anaesthetising him. This was possible because of the size of the veins in his ears, and they said he woke up extremely quickly.

Anyway, best of luck xx

That's a good price. I've never had a bun spayed or castrated with Medivet so I was just going by the price of anesthetic with other ops. Not sure what to do now :? as I've never been to vets4pets yet. My bridge bun Daisy was operated in by the bunny expert in Watford he was great.

That's a good price. I've never had a bun spayed or castrated with Medivet so I was just going by the price of anesthetic with other ops. Not sure what to do now :? as I've never been to vets4pets yet. My bridge bun Daisy was operated in by the bunny expert in Watford he was great.

Do you live close to the Watford branch? perhaps you could go in and speak to him? And yeah, their other prices are a joke.. I had to take a rescue bun to them for castration and he had an undescended testicle. The op was £460 :shock: I nearly died.

Do you live close to the Watford branch? perhaps you could go in and speak to him? And yeah, their other prices are a joke.. I had to take a rescue bun to them for castration and he had an undescended testicle. The op was £460 :shock: I nearly died.

I'm in Southend, Essex but when Daisy needed her op my vet suggested she go to Watford as it was a difficult op regarding an abscess in her cheek plus a dental. Sadly I lost her a couple of weeks later but the op cost me £1000. :shock:

I would seriously think of getting a very very experienced vet for a large rabbit - their hearts are already under strain because of their size. Also sometimes they do not develop as rapidly inside so sometimes the uterus etc is more difficult to trace and remove fully.

Also personally i would not have it done on the 27th - between holidays - if anything went wrong once you got her home or after a few days (stitch pulling, wound septic, not eating etc) you would be stuck as they would be on hols!

I would definitely have it done however as the cancer risk is so high. But ensure its a vet who is used to neutering giants and used to anaesthetising them

Last edited:
I would seriously think of getting a very very experienced vet for a large rabbit - their hearts are already under strain because of their size. Also sometimes they do not develop as rapidly inside so sometimes the uterus etc is more difficult to trace and remove fully.

Also personally i would not have it done on the 27th - between holidays - if anything went wrong once you got her home or after a few days (stitch pulling, wound septic, not eating etc) you would be stuck as they would be on hols!

I would definitely have it done however as the cancer risk is so high. But ensure its a vet who is used to neutering giants and used to anaesthetising them

Thanks for your reply. I think i will be speaking to the vet to see if he has spayed giants before, also I may speak to my normal vet aswell. The reason I chose the 27th is because by bf is off till 2/1 and hopefully I should be off till the 5/1 from 1/1 so she won't be on her own. I am fairly near to a 24/7 vet aswell. So nervous :(

Back