• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bullying or normal?

fiona0529

Alpha Buck
This is my first bonded pair so not sure if this is normal or not.

Jack and daisy have been bonded for nearly 2 years, daisy has always been the more dominant one although they were always quite affectionate with each other. Daisy would chase jack if she got excited, usually when food was involved and she would take food from jacks mouth. We now have to feed them separately to ensure he eats.

Recently we've noticed that occasionally she will nip him to get him to move out of a spot so she can sit in it. He has become nervous and will only let us touch him if he is in a safe place. Very different from pre bonded jack. They do still snuggle and groom each other but the other behaviour makes me worry that jack is being bullied. If so we can't have 2 singles so daisy will need to go :-(

Any advice?

Is she breaking the skin? A nip to get a bun or person to move isn't necessarily bullying, just communication with a side of dominance.

I wonder are you giving them plenty of hay which helps to pass the time as well as being beneficial healthwise. How old are they and what do they eat?

Frosty, who is the most dominant member of the quad, always nips the others out of the way, especially at feeding time.

They all take food from each others mouths too.

It doesnt sound like bullying to me. It sounds familiar rabbit behaviour. Mottle is often chased all over the shop by Peaches at food time.

I scatter feed and put more piles of hay (with hidden veg or pellets) than there are rabbits so everyone gets a pile with some left over!

Yes they have more than enough hay. They are both 3. They get a handful of as every morning which is scattered in different areas. Litter area is filled with hay. They get some veg, scattered in different areas.

Frosty, who is the most dominant member of the quad, always nips the others out of the way, especially at feeding time.

They all take food from each others mouths too.

It doesnt sound like bullying to me. It sounds familiar rabbit behaviour. Mottle is often chased all over the shop by Peaches at food time.

I scatter feed and put more piles of hay (with hidden veg or pellets) than there are rabbits so everyone gets a pile with some left over!

thank you, that's reassuring.

Back