• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice for my precious Rolo please

Roly Poly

Warren Veteran
Good morning,

If you've seen my other thread, you'll probably know that Rolo is booked in for a dental on Monday :cry:

He ate very little last night, nothing overnight and this morning he won't look at his nuggets but has eaten a small amount of dried dandelion mix.

I have fibreplex but he really doesn't take it well and spits most of it out.

I don't really know what to do and would really appreciate some advice xxx

Is he on any pain relief? Perhaps you could ring the vet and get some today until hes in Monday if not ne may eat a bit more?

Is he on any pain relief? Perhaps you could ring the vet and get some today until hes in Monday if not ne may eat a bit more?

I have metacam, he had some last night but I haven't given him any yet this morning as I need my daughter to help me and she's still in bed as she's been poorly aswell this week.

Ditto to regular pain relief. Some Zantac too to protect his stomach from possible ulceration whilst he is not eating much

Also try making his pellet feed soft by soaking it in boiled water. If he does not like them soft try crushing them into crumbly bits.

If the Vet could do the Dental today then that may be the best option.

No advice other than what has been said, unless he'll eat some veggies if he is allowed them. But definitely wanted to add more vibes for Rolo. (((((((((((feel better vibes))))))))))))) xxxx

I've just phoned the vet, have an appointment at 10:30, will ask them to give him metacam and the antibiotic as I find it so difficult and I think I probably stress him out.

I would ask them to do the dental today.... I would not be happy with my vet if they made any of my bunnies wait over a weekend if a dental needs doing.
One of my buns didnt eat on thursday morning.... took her straight to the vets and they kept her in and did a dental.... you would be shocked if i posted the pic of her spur (which could only truly be evaluated under ga)
In my book.... dentals can not wait
Hope you get some positive treatment xx

I've just phoned the vet, have an appointment at 10:30, will ask them to give him metacam and the antibiotic as I find it so difficult and I think I probably stress him out.

Unless there is a sign of bacterial infection he will not need antibiotics. Hope all goes well for him xx

Just got back, they're treating him for a suspected UTI as he's been wetting and is a bit smelly.

They want to wait until Monday to do the dental to try and get some food into him over the weekend.

The nurse gave him some fibreplex and recovery food and we're going to carry on the same at home.

He's sulking now as he really doesn't tolerate the car journey very well.

Continued vibes would be much appreciated xxx

Just got back, they're treating him for a suspected UTI as he's been wetting and is a bit smelly.

They want to wait until Monday to do the dental to try and get some food into him over the weekend.

The nurse gave him some fibreplex and recovery food and we're going to carry on the same at home.

He's sulking now as he really doesn't tolerate the car journey very well.

Continued vibes would be much appreciated xxx

Awww poor boy, sending him lots of vibes.

Pooka has a suspected UTI at the moment and is on baytril. There were brown marks being left on the floor where her pen is that weren't marks from cecals, but like a sticky liquid, and she's been a bit grumpier than usual bless her. Since starting the baytril there have been less marks left.

Mimzy seems to be on and off having trouble with his bladder which we can't isolate as UTI, but perhaps is a condition of his worsening hip joints. I sympathize with you and Rolo.
(((((((((Many vibes and prayers))))))))) that he is feeling better soon. xxxx

Just wanted to add my ((vibes)) for Rolo. Get well soon sweetie xx hope you are ok too, it's a very tense time when our buns are poorly. Take care of yourself too. Xx

Thank you all so much for your kind words, it's so lovely to be able to share my worries with people who understand.

Rolo has eaten some dried dandelion and a little grape, banana and carrot - he doesn't normally have all of those at the same time but I'm willing to try anything today. He's taken it from me but doesn't make any effort to eat by himself.

My daughter and I have just had a little laugh though which we could both do with - we were syringing some baby food into him and not sure what she did, but I now have baby food in my hair and it's all over my kitchen cupboards!

I'm going to try and get a bit of sleep soon so hopefully, Rolo will eat a bit now overnight - please keep everything crossed for him.

Thank you everyone, you're all wonderful xxxx

Back