• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I buy him?

KatP

Alpha Buck
Went to P@H today ( I know I am sorry but only went for a litter tray ) and they had the most adorable little boy bun who needs rehoming which I know is no good as I have two bonded girls but he was just so cute, came right up to the glass when I bent down and then binked infront of me as if to show off and stole my heart! Should I just give in and go get him tomorrow? Can't bear the thought of him being on his own but then I have the whole prob of finding him a bun wife and bonding them! Which I have never done! Any advice?

Could you try him with your girls to make a trio? Has he been neutered/quarantined/vaccinated? :wave:

Personally I wouldn't, mainly because the adoption section is usually old stock, and I would much rather support a rescue and adopt from there. I know when I go on open days to my local rescue (BARC) I always see bunnies that are so adorable and I want, but 4 is enough for me :lol:
Also rescues often do bonding for you so that takes away that headache :thumb:

Things to consider-

Can you afford to neuter and vaccinate a third Rabbit and provide adequate sized accommodation/meet lifelong Vet fees etc without reducing the standard of care you give to the two Rabbits you already have ?

If the arrival of a third Rabbit caused your bonded pair to fall out could you cope with three single Rabbits, what would you do ? Obtain another 3 to pair each one up with meaning you end up with 6 Rabbits ? Rehome ? Keep them all as singletons for the rest of their lives ?

Also, P@H adoption centre animals are very often 'old stock', as Zoobec has mentioned. So you may really be simply supporting the sale of livestock from Pet Shops. Some people are not happy with the ethics of doing that, but it is for you to decide if you are OK with buying Rabbits from Pet Shops.

By adopting from a Rescue you often get ongoing support with bonding and a back up plan if things dont work out. You definitely do NOT get that with Pet Shops, especially P@H

Good luck with whatever you decide xx

Could you try him with your girls to make a trio? Has he been neutered/quarantined/vaccinated? :wave:

Have no idea as they had no information on him other than his name and date he was able to be adopted from!

Jacks-Jane you raise many good points and after a night sleeping on it have decided that you are right. I have two lovely buns and I don't want to risk breaking their bond. If in the future I decide I want more buns then I will look to rescue buns and as Zoobec said they will often bond the buns for you.

Things to consider-

Can you afford to neuter and vaccinate a third Rabbit and provide adequate sized accommodation/meet lifelong Vet fees etc without reducing the standard of care you give to the two Rabbits you already have ?

If the arrival of a third Rabbit caused your bonded pair to fall out could you cope with three single Rabbits, what would you do ? Obtain another 3 to pair each one up with meaning you end up with 6 Rabbits ? Rehome ? Keep them all as singletons for the rest of their lives ?

Also, P@H adoption centre animals are very often 'old stock', as Zoobec has mentioned. So you may really be simply supporting the sale of livestock from Pet Shops. Some people are not happy with the ethics of doing that, but it is for you to decide if you are OK with buying Rabbits from Pet Shops.

By adopting from a Rescue you often get ongoing support with bonding and a back up plan if things dont work out. You definitely do NOT get that with Pet Shops, especially P@H

THIS NEEDS TO BE A STICKY. :thumb:

I agree with this to a certain point, I don't much agree with pet shops selling animals as I feel the animals have more chance of being bought "spontaneously" this way, along with other reasons BUT saying that, I don't think it should put people off buying them! No precious little animal can help how they get to were they are and they all deserve good homes. I wouldn't put a rabbit from a rescue centre before a rabbit from a pet shop, they all need and deserve love...

I wouldn't put a rabbit from a rescue centre before a rabbit from a pet shop, they all need and deserve love...

True but by buying from a pet store you are encouraging practices such as the following (don't click if easily upset):

http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/community/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=85838&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

This is more to do with rodents obviously but the conditions rabbits will be kept in won't be any different. Indeed there was a massive scale rescue not long ago where many many rabbits were taken from a pet shop supplier. A few of the images are on this poster:

http://www.makeminechocolate.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/MMC-Back-Yard-Breeders-print-res.pdf

By adopting from a reputable rescue you are encouraging those who genuinely do have the animals best interests at heart, by buying from a pet shop you are effictively saying you agree with the above (providing you know about it at the time of course).

Went to P@H today ( I know I am sorry but only went for a litter tray ) and they had the most adorable little boy bun who needs rehoming which I know is no good as I have two bonded girls but he was just so cute, came right up to the glass when I bent down and then binked infront of me as if to show off and stole my heart! Should I just give in and go get him tomorrow? Can't bear the thought of him being on his own but then I have the whole prob of finding him a bun wife and bonding them! Which I have never done! Any advice?

yes buy him poor little soul....house him away from your other 2 get him a wife a rescue will bond him and the other rabbit ...:D

Things to consider-

oh i see but its ok to buy from breeders???????????????????????.......

The trouble is, what happens next time you go in there and there's another gorgeous little bunny sitting all alone? And the next time, and the next?

The trouble is, what happens next time you go in there and there's another gorgeous little bunny sitting all alone? And the next time, and the next?

Which is why I try not to go in to Pet Shops that sell livestock now. It is just too depressing. Once you see a certain Rabbit it can be very hard to simply walk away. So I totally understand the OP's dilemma xx

i bought jasper and am glad i did, bless him. yes he was bought 'on a whim', but he'd been massively bullied and was missing a lot of fur - i just couldn't leave him! sadly he doesn't get on with my pair but he seems happy enough on his own right now.

Not sure what that has to do with the OP's question :?[/QUOTed

nicely dodged ;)

i see no difference between buying from a pet shop or buying from a breeder you just cut out the middle man surely???...yet you do not advocate buying from a pet shop?

Back