• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nervous about RSPCA adoption!

Tessie

Young Bun
Hey!

So hopefully I'm about to start the RSPCA adoption process! I've seen a bun who I love! :love:
He is perfect for Luna!

I spoke to a nice lady on the phone, she said he's available, and explained about the home check process etc.

I'm really nervous, I've googled and it seems there are lots of things about the RSPCA being really fussy? Minimum rabbit accomodation... 50 square feet?!
I'm so worried they'll turn me down - I'm smitten! :(

I'm worried that they won't like that I'm a student, that they won't like that I live in a house with friends, that I have laminate floors, that the cage is big enough (it's not 50 square feet!), that they'll think my room is too small?! I'm really nervous :(

Anyone got any calming advice?
Going to the center tomorrow - will let you know how it goes!

Different branches have different requirement so you need to check what your local ones is :) The 50 feet is usually for hutch/run combos so they wouldn't usually apply the rule the same for house bunnies. There might be a minimum size on the cage though. They'll usually give you a chance to make any necessary changes eg adding a pen or upgrading the space.

You say you're in London, which Branch are you going through?

I adopted a bun from the Milbrook branch in Surrey and I had nothing to worry about. The only thing you'll need if you are renting is a letter from your landlord confirming they are happy for you to get a rabbit. :)

Remember, the homecheckers are animal lovers too so just make sure they see how happy and content Luna is and I am sure they will be happy to let a boy bunny join her :)

I'm going to the southridge branch in Hertfordshire.

I'll let you know how it goes!
Very nervous :(

Good luck! Our home check for an indoor rabbit was a space of 6ft x 6ft with Fatfluffs rescue :) Ours was bigger than that and now they have a whole room but that is also with time in the conservatory and the garden in the summer :) (and also extending their room with puppy panels onto the landing but shhhhhhh ;) :lol:)

The people at the center were nice. The lady said she was fairly sure I'll pass the home check.
But they don't think that the bun I like is suitable because he 'gets too hot' or something..... :?
They didn't seem keen on the idea of house buns (like mine is) They kept talking about a natural environment and grass. :roll:

Anyway, I'm down for a home check so we'll just have to see how it goes!:lol:

Still, it's left me with mixed feelings about the RSPCA. They aren't very welcoming and encouraging! They're so fussy about how the rabbits should be kept and who can adopt, but theirs are kept in the small hutches that we all know aren't very good! It's like they even want them to be adopted! :evil:
On the other hand I know they have very limited funds and work with lots of volunteers and obviously they need to find good homes for the animals, but to be honest the whole process is really off putting. I can see why lots of families just buy their pets. It's dissapointing.

Ive only adopted from RSPCA Walsall before when I saw a bunny on their website that stole my heart! We live just over 2 hours away from Walsall so they couldn't do a home check and just went on a friends (they knew her :) ) advice on how my rabbits are kept etc and they were happy for me to have him, they have been fantastic! But I know what you mean, we have a local branch that if I attempted to ask to adopt on of theirs it would have been a straight no because I work full time!!! .... crazy!! Good luck, hopefully all will be ok :)

I adopted Willow from the South Bucks branch in September and they were lovely through the whole process. I contacted them just after loosing Pipkin so I was feeling a bit delicate but they really understood. They let me know the housing requirements straight away (my set up was bigger so it was fine), and one of the volunteers told me that they're very strict on it but they give potential adopters several chances to improve their accommodation.

Southridge is an RSPCA centre rather an a branch, I'm not sure whether that makes a difference. I visited the centre a few years ago when I was looking for a girl bunny (I ended up getting Ruby from the Blue Cross) and when I went the rabbit accommodation there seemed pretty good! Every person I met mentioned me minimum housing size (even though I'd already given the first person a description of my set up and it was fine!), I think they must just be so used to people turning up wanting to adopt something to go in a 4ft hutch. :(

That's probably true, they are probably used to people who don't understand about rabbits....
It's just a little frustrating, the process seems difficult! :?

Good luck with the homecheck :)

Rescues sometimes have smaller accommodation but the idea is its temporary - just for a few weeks or months, so they ask for something better as you could be providing the living space for the next 10 years! It's helpful when they've got examples though.

Back