• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny seems healthy but sleeping & lethargic a lot

Juliassr

New Kit
Hi everyone! This is my first post on the forum. I have been reading on here for a while now, and noticed many of you saying that rabbits have a tendency to be ill without any signs until it is too late, and it got me worried.

I have been with my first ever bunny for 5 months now. He is very sweet and EXTREMELY tame, approaching most people, being picked up with no protesting, etc. I got him a girlfriend a week ago and, although things seems to be going well, I noticed that he sleeps quite a bit more than her. He has also been nipping and ignoring her, all the whilst being groomed by her, so he is just a general ass**** sometimes.

During the day he is very active, binkying, eating well, exploring. But come around 7 pm he begins to act all lethargic and hard to rouse. Then he sleeps all through the night, till about 10 am, and the cycle goes off again. In the evenings, when I try to wake him up to play, he acts really lazy and doesn't want to get up at all. Sometimes his eyes are so half-closed and he is so lazy, I can almost wear him as a scarf and he probably would not notice. I proceed to freak out and try to push some strands of hay into his mouth, and he happily accepts them, with eyes half closed, and just dozes off to sleep. The only thing that seems to get him excited is when I rattle his bag of snacks. Then he will sprint across anything to get to me. Obviously, after snacks, he goes back to his nest amongst the bookshelves and passes out.

I am very scared that he may be harbouring some ailment which makes him so lethargic. Do any of you think this is possible, when he acts very normal during the day? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

He sounds like he enjoys his sleep to me. If hes eating and his poos are nice, big and round, if he has clean eyes, clean dry bum area, no discharge from nose and mouth then he sounds ok especially as there are times everyday he is active. If you are worried there wouldn't hurt to see a vet for a check up :wave:

Usually it would be the other way around, active in the early morning/evening and napping all day but your rabbit might have just adjusted to when you are active :)

If you are worried you can get your vet to give him a checkup, but if he's eating and active when he is up I wouldn't be too concerned :)

Thank you all for the encouraging replies! Yes, Herzl and his girlfriend Petunia both sleep through the night - as soon as the lights go out they both loaf up, and I find them in the same place in the morning. Both are now doing the chinning rounds of their premises with intermittent binkies. (This is my bunny: https://twitter.com/HelpFindHerzl) I will take Herzl to the vet soon, but I guess he does just love sleeping, he has had a very good bunny life with 24/7 human friends, and picked up a few unfavorable habits along the way. I will keep you posted on the vet visit next week.

Back