• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

maisie piggy has cystitis u/d-course 3 finished

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
she started squeaking in pain through the night and was hunched and straining. we have been to the vets this morning and she has cystitis. she's now on metacam for a week, and septrin for three weeks. she's also down at 890g now. very low for her. :(

apart from the pain passing urine, she is fairly bright within herself, takes meds well, and still has her appetitie. so fingers crossed it's 'just' a uti and nothing else going on.

Last edited:
Fingers are crossed here. You've obviously got a good vet there, given the length of the Septrin course. :thumb:

Oh poor little girl, hope the meds help her soon. What about cranberries? I think piggies can have a few & they are supposed to be good for uti's, just a thought?! but does anyone else know if this is ok?

Fingers are crossed here. You've obviously got a good vet there, given the length of the Septrin course. :thumb:

we are really lucky. he's excellent. :love:

Oh poor little girl, hope the meds help her soon. What about cranberries? I think piggies can have a few & they are supposed to be good for uti's, just a thought?! but does anyone else know if this is ok?

yes, i think they can have them, aswell as cranberry juice. i think barley water is meant to help aswell. maisie has seemed on the verge of a uti a few times, but drinks alot so manages to clear it before it becomes anything more, but i think if she seems like that after this course of meds, then i will try giving her some cranberry juice, just to see if that helps.

maisie already seems brighter. she's not liking the septrin though which i am really surprised about because it smells like banana and she loves the smell of banana. when o/h opens one she hears and wheeks really loudly and runs over to beg. :lol::love: she likes metacam though.

she's so sweet. she loves praise and cuddles after meds. she is such a sweet girl. i just adore her. :love:

thanks everyone. she's still alot brighter but still a little bit of squeaking and her urine is a very pinky colour. but overall she's doing really well. i'm weighing her tomorrow so i hope she has stayed stable and will gain over the course of meds.

the piggies weighing scales decided that today would be a great day to stop working! :evil: so i've not weighed maisie and now have to buy new scales aswell. :roll:

anyway, she's still doing ok but she gets huffy having the septrin, which means she must really hate it because she's not normally huffy with anything.

i've been giving her a little bit of warm pellet mash aswell which she loves. :love:

Checking in to see how Maisie piggy is doing and leave a few topping up vibes for her healing. :love: xxxx

thank you for asking. maisie is doing brilliantly. she's back to her happy self and taking the meds so well. found out she prefers it syringed in the opposite side of her mouth to the one i was doing. she doesn't like the septrin but has that first to get it out of the way, then she drinks some water from the syringe to rinse her mouth, then drinks metacam from the syringe, and then a final rinse. :lol: :love: she is such a good girl. :love:

they love to stay on the settee with me for a bit after aswell, for praise, cuddles, tasty reward and hay. :love:

here's some pics. where's maisie:

20131217_231216_zps59350f5f.jpg

20131217_231241_zpscbf0ee77.jpg

eds has spotted her! he likes to nuzzle her afterwards, and purr. he's so funny because he does that, then pops because he is so happy to be right near her again, and then he licks her mouth because he can smell the meds. :roll: :lol:

20131217_231223_zpsf735c2d7.jpg

there she is! with septrin on her chin! :roll:

20131217_231528_zps218f994c.jpg

pretty, lovely, and very special lady:

20131217_231414_zps0b2edc4a.jpg

:love:

got some batteries for the scales aswell so can finally weigh her today. :thumb: then it's her last metacam day tomorrow, but she will stay on septrin for another two weeks yet.

Love the pics! :love:
How adorable are they both? :D Is a piggy's purr the same as a bunny's? I didn't know they even did it! :shock:

Love the pics! :love:
How adorable are they both? :D Is a piggy's purr the same as a bunny's? I didn't know they even did it! :shock:

glad you like the pics. :D they are both adorable, and very happy. :love:

piggy purr is alot louder than bunnies. bunnies is like a soft tooth purr and there's is quite a loud purr. eds also does burrrr when he sees maisie. :lol: love the noises they make. :love: maisie also purrs when i stroke her, but hers sounds really strange. :lol: ches used to be so funny. he would purr in anticipation and then do the loudest, most content purrs, and love it so much a leg would go up in the air. :lol: :love:

x

Back