• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New to the forum but not to buns

daffodil.lemurs

Warren Scout
Hi!
Found the forum when looking for the best brush to get for a long haired bunny, still not decided on what to get so any advice would be great.
I've just become the proud mum to Otto, a gorgeous teddybear looking rabbit. He's a lionhead cross something, about 2 years old and came to me from the RSPCA. He's a multitude of colours, a white belly, black head and a brown body with some rusty flecks. He's so soft, just a big bundle of fluff. He's still a little nervy but gradually exploring more of the house. Will get some photos of him soon.
I've previously had a female dutch house bun who was a little terror and ran about the house at the speed of light and managed to get into and on top of everything in my house. We unfortunately lost her at 5 years old to e-cuniculi earlier this year :(
What are people's thoughts on preventative worming, useful or just increasing resistance to medication? I don't want to go through such a horrible illness again but I don't want to medicate for the sake of it.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to using the forums and seeing photos of everyone's bunnies :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome. :)

Preventative Panacur/Lapizole for E Cuniculi is always a hot topic. I don't think anyone truly knows whether it is helpful or not. I don't personally think that anything under 28 days is helpful though, eg. the 9 day courses that some recommend.

Hello :wave:

Your bun sounds gorgeous - any photos???

We wormed all our buns back in Feb this year - and then thought 'must do it again' recently but when I asked our vet whom I totally trust, for some panacur he said that based on articles he has since read - he wouldn't recommend worming again althought it was up to us the owners ultimately. So we've decided against it until there is concrete proof it does prevent EC.

Hello :wave:

Personally I would never worm as a preventative as I am not sure it would help and I would be worried about building a resistance to a potentially life saving drug.

Hopefully this works...here's Otto looking a bit annoying that i've interrupted his snooze in the litter tray. He seems to have decided he likes a bare cage as well as he has dragged all of his blankets into one corner and ignored them :roll: I suppose it makes cleaning up easier so I shouldn't complain.

The photo doesn't quite do him justice as you can't see the gorgeous rusty coloured flecks in his coat...I'll be hovering around him with my phone awaiting the perfect shot for the next few days!

The pale blur at the left side of the photo is these as the cage has quite high sides and I worry about him hurting himself when he's jumping out, i'm a very over protective bunny mum :lol:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I've decided against worming for now. The vet I saw when my old girl was ill said he didn't advise preventative treatment and as me and my partner work in healthcare I completely understand the issues around antibiotic misuse and resistance. I might mention it to the vet when I take Otto for his next vacs but I think I'm just getting worried unecessarily.

Back