• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Unbearable guilt :-(

Dieselsmum

Warren Scout
Hi,

I hurt my poor bunny and I feel awful :cry:

Last night, about 7.30, my bunny Diesel and dog Bobby we're doing their usual running around chasing each other, as they do about the same time every night. I was coming down the stairs, carrying some washing when I stepped off the last step, and out of no where, Diesel appeared and I stepped on him. He ran off into his cage and laid down. I went and sat next time him and felt his legs, as I thought I had stepped on one of his paws. He didn't flinch or act like he was in pain at all which was a relief but he was very low to the ground and his head looked like it was tilted slightly. I rang the vet and explained and they said he could be in shock and as long as he was moving his legs ok then just keep an eye on him and take him in the morning if I was still worried.

Anyway, I sat with him for a good few hours and grew increasingly more concerned. He was a little subdued, still wanted to be stroked and although I was trying to get him to eat all sorts of goodies, he was having a sniff but not actually eating, even his favourite treat. At one point, he tried to eat some hay and he was lifting his head up, almost as if to try and let it slide in his mouth, like he couldn't chew. By this point I was very emotional but as it was late, I thought I would let him rest and see how he was this morning.

When I got up this morning, I was hoping all his food would've been eaten. He hadn't touched a bit and he was kind of flicking his head to one side so I got ready and decided to take him straight to the vet when they opened at 8.

By the time I got to the vets I was on the verge of tears again so luckily I was seen very quickly as I was first in. I explained to the vet and he checked him all over then looked in his mouth but as Diesel hates being held, he did struggle so he took him next door so one of the nurses could help him. When he came back he said he was sure his jaw was fine, it wasn't broken or fractured but he did have severe bruising down one side of his face and in his mouth which explains why he was tilting his head and wasn't eating as it was hurting him. He gave him painkillers and anti-inflammatory and said he would just need some time to recover and he should start eating again when the painkillers kick in. He gave me some "critical care" food incase it took a few days for him to start eating again properly.

Is there any food I can give him that's very soft and mushy that I can tempt him with?

I feel so guilty, I'm a complete mess. :cry:

oh no ... hugs to both of you. easy to say but dont blame yourself, accidents happen.

What about tasty herbs to tempt him or fenugreek crunchies maybe softened in water..?

What a horrible situation. Hope he recovers soon.

Fee xx

Accidents happen, and I know my house bun seems to love running under my feet when I'm walking around :roll:

Maybe you could cut or grate his veg, and soak his pellets with water (if he has pellets).

Hope he feels better soon.

Thank you!

I'm sure my mum thinks I was on the verge of a breakdown this morning when I rang her after I had been to the vets. She said the same about trying not to blame myself but I feel rotten about it.

I will get him some extra tasty herbs to see if that will do the trick.

I am fearful that something has been missed by the vet and its worse than it is, but I am a worrier.

These beloved pets make me feel worse than the kids do sometimes! :cry:
xx

I think anyone who has ever has house bunnies had a similar experience. No matter how careful you are sometimes they just get under your feet. I have never put my full weight in a bun but I have tripped over all but Farore, not sure if that's because I have only had her a short time or because she is massive! :lol:

It's better now since I have moved house and the rabbits have their own space as I know to be extra careful when I am in their space. But when rabbits are running free in your normal living space you cannot constantly watch them!

Hope he feels better soon. If you pour hot water over pellets and leave to cool they swell up into a sort of mush. He might like that.

Thank you! I will do that with his pellets too. I am hoping that by the time I get home from work in a few hours, all of his food will be gone! Wishful thinking!

Please don't feel bad I bet there's not a single house-bunny owner on here who hasn't at one point stepped on or tripped over their bunny. I know I have. You're just unlucky that he hurt himself, it was an accident so please don't blame yourself.

He'll feel ok now with painkillers and anti-inflammatories and in a few days he'll be back to normal and it will all be forgotten about. :wave:

Awww don't feel bad... the amount of times there's posts like this, we all do it - I accidentally booted Rupert across the room once! and Tia ran full force into the corner of the shed and made the worst noise i've ever heard once too :(

If his mouth is hurting have you tried using cooled boiling water to mash some pellets up for him? My two go mad for this (I sometimes give them it in winter when its cold - let the water cool so its not too hot obviously, but my two love it luke warm).

Hope he's feeling better soon, the painkillers will help.

Hugs for you x

Thanks everyone. It helps to hear kind words. I'll try and update later when there is hopefully an improvement. :) xx

Not just indoor bunnies... outdoor bunnies have no 'feet' sense and manage to get under my feet....

Still sending loads of healing vibes,,,, Bunnies are just plain daft at times......

I didn't want to read and run but I also don't want to parrot everyone else and tell you that accidents happen and not to feel bad, but it's true it's not like you hurt the poor thing on purpose and I'm sure you would have done anything you could to avoid hurting him!

Hope your little bun feels better soon. He can come tell Hugh and Meg about the dangers of playing dodgems with my feet when he's all better please :)

Awwwww bless him but what everyone else says is right. Sometimes they're a bit daft running in front of feet and it does happen. I'm sorry to hear he's hurt but I'm sure he'll be ok if it's just bruising.

Paws crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much everyone. I feel so silly getting so upset and I always think the worst. Fingers crossed he perks up soon, I'm not sure my heart could break any more for him xx

As everyone else has said, don't feel bad. These things happen. I used to wear massive fluffy slippers when my two were house bunnies because of the amount of times they'd dart in front of my feet! I figured they'd rather be kicked by a pillow than a foot :roll:.

If he really doesn't want to eat, you could ask your vet for some recovery food and mix it with a natural baby food. Ella's kitchen works well as it's all natural, and the carrot and parsnip one is very yummy. It always tempts my two to eat :D Hopefully with pain relief he'll be eating fairly normally though, so it's best to avoid recovery food unless he's not eating at all imo :D

Oh no - you poor thing. I can imagine how awful you must feel - no matter how many times you're told it wasn't your fault. Loads of vibes for him and loads of hugs for you.

So I went to another vet this evening for a second opinion. He still hadn't eaten all day and I have a friend who is a vet nurse who I was expressing my concerns too. I ended up taking him to her surgery. He had a thorough check over and the vet confirmed there were no broken bones and he is probably in a little bit of shock and pain. He gave him an antibiotic, plus a b12 injection and some more pain relief. He also gave me some pain relief to take home. When I got him back he had a few mouthfuls of mashed up banana and a handful of rocket. He still hasn't eaten pellets so I mashed some up in some hot water but he's not interested. I have some recovery food and just tried to give him a little bit but he's being really skittish and I'm having trouble getting hold of him. Not surprising after the day he's had I guess. Hopefully he calms down so I can get his pain meds in him tomorrow. X

Aww poor bunny, the amount of times I've kicked the bunnies accidentally isn't funny, it happens to us all.

I would just leave some critical care, mashed pellets, dry pellets and any other of his favourite foods near him and leave him and let him calm down, then if he hasn't eaten anything maybe try to feed him again before bed? Did they give him any fluids at the vets, or syringe feed him? Bunnies often get dehydrated when they stop eating so it is important to monitor his fluid intake too. It would also be a good idea to clean out his litter tray so you can keep a close eye on how much he is weeing and pooing.

Fresh herbs can often tempt bunnies when they are feeling off, as they are so pungent.

As for the metacam (I assume its metacam that youve got?), try letting him taste some, if he will, tomorrow, as many buns like the flavour and will take it willingly.

I can imagine how awful you feel, I would be the same & so would all the other RU members. But as others have already said it can happen & it's an accident.

Hugs to you & vibes for Diesel x

Hope he feels better soon. I would do as others here have said, leave little bits of everything so that he can have a pick at whatever he fancies.

I really feel for you xx

Hope he starts feeling better soon! As everyone else has said, near enough every single bunny owner has done something similar. Lola chases feet so its difficult not to send her flying across the tiles in the kitchen sometimes, they really do dart out of nowhere.

Its good that you got a second opinion, hopefully it eased your mind that it's not.as sinister as you feared.

Hugs xx

Back