• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pleased to see at the local garden centre

Whitelighter

Warren Scout
Popped in to get a small bag of fenugreek treats and while paying I read the following notice by the till:

'We do not believe in pets being given as gifts for Christmas. Because if this no livestock sales may be collected from 7 days before Christmas until 7 days after Christmas'

They do sell rabbits among the other small pets and birds and I was pleased to see this (plus they have very low stock at the moment, just a couple of Rex in a big pen).

One of the reasons that Notcutts has so little stock at present is because they were due to close their doors at Christmas for good as the site had been sold for demolition and redevelopment by Waitrose. So they haven't taken in any new bunnies and all of the remaining bunnies were due to be transferred to their other shops.

I hear that the development of the site by Waitrose is now not going ahead - Waitrose have pulled out. So they may end up restocking. I have no idea whether they'll continue to trade or not.

But all of that said, I'm pleased that they've taken this stance. I've been speaking to the manager there about the welfare of the rabbits when the shop was due to close and I find her to be very approachable.

I think Notcutts are one of the better garden centres for selling rabbits speaking from my recent experiences.

As far as I know the waitrose plans are still going ahead.

There has been the rumour but I live on Earlswood park ( the nottcutts estate) and am chair of the residents association and our information is it's still in the planning pipeline.

As far as I know the waitrose plans are still going ahead.

There has been the rumour but I live on Earlswood park ( the nottcutts estate) and am chair of the residents association and our information is it's still in the planning pipeline.

Ah okay, well I'll just wait and see then - I thought my source was pretty reliable. With the Tescos being built developed just down the road in Bagshot it all seems mad having three supermarkets within spitting distance of each other.

Anyway, let's hope that people get the message with the Christmas Amnesty that Notcutts are holding. Good for them.

I'm guilty of getting a rabbit for Christmas...
My boyfriend will pay for the rabbit:love:(which is very sweet because he's allergic to hay :lol:), and I buy all the supplies and accessories.
If he didn't pay for the rabbit, I would buy it myself anyway :oops:
But I have only decided to get a rabbit since I suddenly had to move out and move to a place where pets are allowed.
If I didn't move out, I would have waited.
My roommate had a dog so he didn't want any rabbits in the house, but I loved the dog and could cuddle her when I came home.
Now there's no pets at all and the house is empty :/
I would not get pets for my children for any special occasion unless I have the space/time to take care of them. (in the future I mean)

I think if your decision to get a pet of any description happens to coincide with Christmas, or if you timed it that way to enable you to get things you need like a hutch etc as a present then getting it at that time shouldn't be an issue. Plus it is a time of year when a lot of people are at home for an extended period of time which would help with bonding with your pet etc. but I think pet shops etc offering rabbits or any other animal at a reduced price for 'presents' is wrong and encourages snap purchases especially by parents for children who have no real idea of the work involved. Personally I did a lot of research before I got Levi and Daisy and even I was surprised at just how much time they take up.

Is this the peterborough one ? They have lovely staff there for animals. The manager can be a bit short will be sad if they close.

Back