• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding stalemate

barronzbunz

Young Bun
Hi all, hope you can help. My neutered buns have been dating for about 6 weeks now and are spending all day together in their shed and run. However my doe still hasnt accepted my buck and although theres no fighting theres no snuggles either. If he gets too close she will try to nip/box him and because of this I separate them at night. He still chases and tries to mount her but if she does offer her head to be groomed he just tries to mount her instead. Will they ever bond?

Me too!

Hey - I've got the same problem (reassuring to know someone else does too!).

I'll let you know if I get any other info :eek:)

I would say that separating them at night was prolonging the problem. As they haven't properly sorted themselves out yet and then they don't see each other until the morning. I'd be tempted to leave them together over night as that way they can sort themselves out properly. She's not going to be friends with him if she only sees him for part of the day and then they have to re-establish whose boss again the next day.

I would say that separating them at night was prolonging the problem. As they haven't properly sorted themselves out yet and then they don't see each other until the morning. I'd be tempted to leave them together over night as that way they can sort themselves out properly. She's not going to be friends with him if she only sees him for part of the day and then they have to re-establish whose boss again the next day.

I think you are right, ive just been too nervous to take the plunge as this is my first time bonding. I will be so upset if either was injured, but I think I'll go for it tonight, will let you know how it goes. Thanks :)

I agree too - it may be that the shed and run is too much space for them if they haven't quite bonded yet and they therefore haven't fully sorted everything out.

Personally I would put them in an indoor cage and bring them in and sleep next to them for a couple of nights. Having them in a smaller space should accelerate the bond as they will not have the space of a shed and run to avoid each other. Clearly you will have to watch carefully to ensure that the small space does not cause distress, but usually it has the effect that they get through the humpy stage (invariably when you're trying to sleep) and start to snuggle. You could also try cheating by smearing a tiny bit of fruity baby food or squished banana on their heads to encourage them to start grooming each other... Once they're sorted in the smaller space you can move them back to the shed/run but personally I would restrict this space for a while and gradually increase it, as the move to a larger space can often kick off their territorialism again.

Good luck xx

I agree too - it may be that the shed and run is too much space for them if they haven't quite bonded yet and they therefore haven't fully sorted everything out.

Personally I would put them in an indoor cage and bring them in and sleep next to them for a couple of nights. Having them in a smaller space should accelerate the bond as they will not have the space of a shed and run to avoid each other. Clearly you will have to watch carefully to ensure that the small space does not cause distress, but usually it has the effect that they get through the humpy stage (invariably when you're trying to sleep) and start to snuggle. You could also try cheating by smearing a tiny bit of fruity baby food or squished banana on their heads to encourage them to start grooming each other... Once they're sorted in the smaller space you can move them back to the shed/run but personally I would restrict this space for a while and gradually increase it, as the move to a larger space can often kick off their territorialism again.

Good luck xx

Thank you, will keep you posted! X

Me too!

I'm getting the same advice as all the above too!

Looks like we're just going to have to be brave and take the plunge!

Good luck x

I'm getting the same advice as all the above too!

Looks like we're just going to have to be brave and take the plunge!

Good luck x

I went for it last night although they were in quite a large space. They seem fine this morning but are no closer. No fighting though so thats good. Im going to keep them together 24/7 now unless i see issues. maybe try the smaller space as suggested, just dont like seeing them in enclosed spaces. Good luck with your bond, hows it going? X

I bonded my quad in quite a large space and it was fine.

Thats reassuring, id rather take things slowly to avoid them getting injured. My buck has always been used to a huge amount of space and hates being cooped up. As my doe is quite timid I think she would freak out too. Last night was a breakthrough and my hubby actually saw him groom her for a short time, but I missed it! I'm feeling more positive now. Thanks

I bonded my first pair in the garden everyday, by accident. She escaped from her run, but they had got used to each other by then and he just ignored her, once she was out he would chase her a little to keep away, but no major fights. Then everyday I'd put them on opposite sides of the garden until they were sitting and grooming each other.

So keep with this way as it seems they are happy with this arrangement and will get closer after a while.

My trio still after 4 months have the very occasional chase or fur pull, maybe once a month. I think its like me with my hubby there are days when I cant bear to look at him and theres no way I would want to wash his ears - this is how I think my rabbits feel sometimes, then other days he is an Adonis and I want to be very close - my trio are like this lol

My trio still after 4 months have the very occasional chase or fur pull, maybe once a month. I think its like me with my hubby there are days when I cant bear to look at him and theres no way I would want to wash his ears - this is how I think my rabbits feel sometimes, then other days he is an Adonis and I want to be very close - my trio are like this lol

Haha when you put it like that it makes complete sense! My hubby thinks my bunnies get more attention than him, lol. I think I was very naive when I decided to get smokey a girlfriend, I honestly thought it would only take a few days, but the more I've read the more I've realised it can be quite a challenge. I'm at home full time and have given it full commitment but still its been tough. Doesn't help that I'm such a softy, but im determined to carry on as I know they will both be much happier :love:

Hey there

I've done the same thing....their first night together was Saturday (the first night I could sleep with them all night!) and not too bad. Some scuffles and chasing, bit of fur pulling but otherwise ok.

I've not seperated them since and they seem alright. Alf still chases Rosie, but no one is dead or injured yet, so taking that as a good sign! Haha.

They're not head over heels in love, but hopefully with a bit of time and patience (and them realising this is their lot!!) we'll get there! :eek:)

So it looks like we're pretty similar!

xx

Back