• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

coccidiosis questions

DwarfBuns

Warren Scout
I am a bit confused about coccidiosis.. Info I find online seems contradictory!

If a rabbit has c. while it is young, and the treatment it receives is panacur for 8/9 days, plus recovery food, baytril & fibreplex - is the c. treated? Or does it go away? What happens? I've read on some sites that a rabbit needs proper treatment for c. - but then other places are saying that the above is enough, others are saying this is outdated!

If this is all they are treated with, will the c. come back?

I really don't know much about this disease & would appreciate any more info people can give me. x

No.. Unfortunately this was definitely coccidiosis, there were faecal samples taken & those were the prescribed meds given. Most of the rabbits died, a few of them 'recovered' - meaning no symptoms. But if it's not treated properly.. Won't it just come back? :/

ETA - Thank you for the link x

No.. Unfortunately this was definitely coccidiosis, there were faecal samples taken & those were the prescribed meds given. Most of the rabbits died, a few of them 'recovered' - meaning no symptoms. But if it's not treated properly.. Won't it just come back? :/

ETA - Thank you for the link x

If you read all the info on the link you will see how Coccidiosis should be treated etc

I am sorry you lost a lot of Rabbits :cry:

If you read all the info on the link you will see how Coccidiosis should be treated etc

I am sorry you lost a lot of Rabbits :cry:

Thank you.. I just wanted to clarify the information.

And thank you.. Although they weren't my rabbits. Just something that I happened to come across a little while ago.

I'm not surprised most of them died if those were the meds given, because they're not the right meds for coccidiosis!

The drugs against cocci don't actually kill it completely, they just reduce the numbers down to a level where the rabbit's immune sytem stands a better chance of overcoming it, so in that respect, once a rabbit has had cocci and recovered, they should be immune to that strain of cocci from then onwards. However, there are several different strains of cocci, plus they may become a symptomless carrier, so it is possible that they could pass on the cocci to another rabbit at some point in the future. So no it shouldn't come back in the same rabbit, but it could well come back in other rabbits.

I'm not surprised most of them died if those were the meds given, because they're not the right meds for coccidiosis!

The drugs against cocci don't actually kill it completely, they just reduce the numbers down to a level where the rabbit's immune sytem stands a better chance of overcoming it, so in that respect, once a rabbit has had cocci and recovered, they should be immune to that strain of cocci from then onwards. However, there are several different strains of cocci, plus they may become a symptomless carrier, so it is possible that they could pass on the cocci to another rabbit at some point in the future. So no it shouldn't come back in the same rabbit, but it could well come back in other rabbits.

It took a while for them to even see a vet to get those meds. Most of them died before they'd seen a vet (talking a couple of weeks at least!). Took even longer to get a faecal sample.. By this point, there were 3 left, I believe. One of them died after a few days of knowing what it was. 2 survived in total. It was awful. I just wanted to make sure that the symptoms wouldn't return in times of stress if the coccidiosis remained dormant. Hopefully their immune systems were strong enough & they fought it off & are now immune to that strain, like you say. It was a terrible thing to happen. Very hard to see, all the while, saying that they needed to see a different Vet who would give them proper treatment. Wasn't my decision at the end of the day, unfortunately.

Yes indeed - very sad. It sounds as if it might have been a particularly virulent strain, in which case I would advise extra caution and also for visitors, as cocci can survive in the environment for a long time - especially soil etc - so it would be very easy for a visitor to pick it up on their clothing and take it home to their own bunnies long after the outbreak is over. Hopefully not but where nasty strains of cocci are around it's better safe than sorry IMO x

Yes indeed - very sad. It sounds as if it might have been a particularly virulent strain, in which case I would advise extra caution and also for visitors, as cocci can survive in the environment for a long time - especially soil etc - so it would be very easy for a visitor to pick it up on their clothing and take it home to their own bunnies long after the outbreak is over. Hopefully not but where nasty strains of cocci are around it's better safe than sorry IMO x

I did check with my rabbit savvy vet at the time, who assured me that most adult buns have some sort of immunity... However, to be on the safe side, I would come home & take my clothes off in the kitchen & put them straight in the wash after handling these rabbits. I'd also use PPE while handling them. It really was awful :( The two surviving rabbits are looking a lot better now & hopefully it is over for them now. I just hope that when they go to their new homes, that it doesn't reappear :( Hopefully this won't be a problem for me next year, I am hoping to leave.

Back