• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long does it take for fur to grow back??

moi

Mama Doe
Timmy had to be shaved during his op, and hes still bald there. Does it take long to grow back x

One of ours wasn't totally furred up for what seemed like forever after her op - must have been about a year. One of the others grew it back in a few weeks, and one a few months.

My experience is like both replies.
Benjie grows his back very quickly but is in permanent moult.
Thumper didn't grow his back until the next moult.

It can depend on whereabouts on the body it is too. Alfie had his leg and his ears shaved for an op and the fur on his leg grew back much quicker than that on his ears.

Timmys fur is very short, and he hasnt gone through a moult yet since Ive had him. Hopefuly he wont be bald there forever x

as others have said with the next moult, my buns when they have had their ears shaved its took roughly 6months

Lola's tummy was shaven and that grew back within the week, myself and the vet were shocked at how quickly it grew back in :shock: When she gets her ears shaved they grow back within 3 weeks or so, she super fast at growing fur :D Just depends on the rabbit I guess :)

Shadowfax was speyed at the end of August (I think!) and she grew some of her back really quickly..now she has patchy bits that are completely bald. She has had her moult but her tum is still as bald as a coot. :lol: I find it rather cute, and I think it's more noticeable because she's a black bunny and he rskin is very pale. I think she will take a while to grow the rest back and I'm not worried about it since she's an indoor bun now. :)

Back