• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit feels warm and she is off food

amyd

New Kit
My rabbit loves her food (realy loves her food) but went to her shed this morning and she hadnt eaten any hay and only a small amount of her food in her bowl. i topped her food up in her bowl and normally when i do this she will jump in the bowl like she has never been fed, but she just sat there looking at me. i offered her some food from my hand and she didnt take that either. she did take some herbs from her herb garden but still hasnt eaten her food. this evening she feels a little warm on her ears! Obviously i will take her to the vets if she seems really unwell, but any ideas whats up. thanks:(

I am afraid you need to take her to the Vet this evening. If she is hardly eating and feels abnormally warm then she is very clearly unwell. The only useful advice we can give you is to call the Vet now and arrange an appointment for her this evening.

You do need to take her to vet's this evening if she isn't eating. A bunny that isn't interested in eating is already showing that she's really ill :(.

If you call the vet now and explain that bunny hasn't eaten since this morning, they should ask you to come in straight away.

Vibes for your bunny x

Please go to the vets, when my Benji stopped eating and felt warm, he died two days later. He had a heart condition.

If need be, you should push the vets into taking it more seriously. My vets told me that Benji should be fine, they had no idea what was wrong with him because they didn't x-ray him.

you really need to get to the vets as soon as you can, especially if this has been going on since this morning. :( x

OMG, WAS SO WORRIED. JUST BEEN OUT AND SHE HAS COOLED DOWN. EATEN HER HAY FROM HER FEEDER AND ATE SOME OF HER FOOD. WILL STILL KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON HER MIND BUT I THINK SHES OK. THANKS EVERYONE :love:

Glad she seems to have brightened up. I would still recommend a vet trip in the morning for a check over in case its something that's going to reoccur, not eating is most often the sign of pain somewhere.

OMG, WAS SO WORRIED. JUST BEEN OUT AND SHE HAS COOLED DOWN. EATEN HER HAY FROM HER FEEDER AND ATE SOME OF HER FOOD. WILL STILL KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON HER MIND BUT I THINK SHES OK. THANKS EVERYONE :love:

thank goodness. i thought something awful had happened. what did the vets say? did they give you any meds for her? :wave: x

just got back from vets and all seems fine, she cant find anything wrong with her. guess she must have just been having an off day. was devestated, sadly lost the kids hamster only a week ago bless her:( couldnt let anything happen to there bunny now. we all love our rabbit so much. didnt think i would take to a rabbit this much but she is most definetly one of the family now, she thinks shes one of the dogs, shes the most loving little thing. :love::love::love:LONG LIVE BUNNY:love::love::love: (yeah `bunny` is her name lol. let my 3yr old name her)

Did the vet check her teeth with an otoscope? (The thing doctors use to look in ears)

Did you feed anything different?

Did her poo look any different/was there a different amount to usual?

Did the vet feel her stomach and gut for signs of a slow gut or gassy tummy? Did the vet listen to her gut with a stethoscope?

Is she spayed?

You need to still keep an eye on her, the problem with not eating is that it can be fatal within a couple of days, and often is the sign of another medical problem - usually something that causes pain.

yes. she was checked all over. we have a very good vet and i have every confidence in her. Bunny is eating fine now and hopping around like always. SHE IS NOT DYING!!!

yes. she was checked all over. we have a very good vet and i have every confidence in her. Bunny is eating fine now and hopping around like always. SHE IS NOT DYING!!!

Okay, chill your boots, was just trying to help, problems with the gut/stopping eating often reoccur if they are not diagnosed and solved. As no diagnosis was made, was attempting to help you prevent it happening again. I won't bother in future.

Back