• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent help needed!!!

KatP

Alpha Buck
Ok so I have just been moving things in the living room and come across a toy that has been destroyed, it's a kind of carrot rattle wrapped in sisal but the buns have destroyed it, it is only meant to be played with under supervision as it is plastic under the sisal and goodness only knows what inside! They must have got to it 3 nights ago when I left them with OH to answer the phone. ( not blaming Oh as the toy was hidden away so they have obviously pinched the toy and run off with it!) I am really worried now that it is going to cause problems. Have been out to check poops in their hutch and they seem fine, buns have been eating and drinking normally and seem fine in themselves. Any help or advice would be good. Should I be ringing the vets?

Buns can be so naughty. I'm not an expert but from what I've read on here, and from my own experience, some rabbits are more sensitive inside than others after eating things they shouldn't. I think if I was in your place I wouldn't regard the situation as an emergency as they have been fine for three days since the incident, but would like to have them checked sooner than later.

Thank you so much suisebunny for replying so will ring vets in the morning rather then bothering out of hours surgery at this time of night! As I said they both seem happy and healthy but I was just worried they were hiding something as I know rabbits only show they are ill when they are very ill!

Thank you so much suisebunny for replying so will ring vets in the morning rather then bothering out of hours surgery at this time of night! As I said they both seem happy and healthy but I was just worried they were hiding something as I know rabbits only show they are ill when they are very ill!

This is true. I'm not qualified to tell you the best thing to do, just sharing what I would do in the same situation. Sending vibes that your buns will remain well. :wave:

Aww thanks so much, they seem happy as Larry ATM as have just been out to check them but will def ring vets in the morning but as you said this is day 3 and if I hadn't found the destroyed toy I wouldn't have been worried as they are acting totally normal! Maybe I have been lucky, still can't believe they managed to steal the toy!!

If its like the one my bunny destroyed it has got pop corn kernels inside so I'm assuming fairly harmless although my bunny didn't eat any.

Have spoken to vet who said to just keep an eye on them but as they appear fine and are eating and pooping as normal not to worry too much. As we are now on day 4 he said they should of passed anything they had eaten especially as they are pooping normally.

Have spoken to vet who said to just keep an eye on them but as they appear fine and are eating and pooping as normal not to worry too much. As we are now on day 4 he said they should of passed anything they had eaten especially as they are pooping normally.

That's good news. :thumb: My rabbit was caught chewing on a pencil (including a bit of the rubber and metal tip) recently. He did have a stasis episode about a week later, but it may not have been connected. I don't leave pencils lying about on the floor, I hasten to add - he jumped on my bed and helped himself from the top of a cabinet! :shock:

Don't worry. They are safe for rabbits. Most won't actually eat the bits but my buns do eat the "string" that is used to wrap around the toy and the have been ok. Inside mine was just cardboard and when they unravelled the string, I just took the toy off them so they couldn't eat any of it. If it was going to hurt them, it would have done already so I'd say they will probably be ok now. :thumb:

Just make sure they are eating and all the usual stuff. :)

They have been in for cuddles today and all seems fine they are as hoppy and happy as usual. Have been happily munching hay all day so I think I may of got away with it. Thanks for all the advice and support.

Back