• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any tips for cleaning up hay...

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
...from the car boot?! :roll: I've been buying bales from a horse feed shop but the first couple of times it went straight into my car, I now have a nice tarp sheet to contain it :lol: but there are lots of stubborn bits of hay that won't come up with the Hoover so I wondered if anyone, maybe those with indoor rabbits, have any genius ways of getting hay out of awkward fabrics?! The boot (as I'm sure most car boots are) is like a felted short pile... My last car got sold with remnants if Christmas tree in the boot :lol: I don't want to come to sell this one with hay still in the carpet!!

Next time you get hay take an old duvet cover and put the bale in it and wrap the end around the bale. It stops the hay getting into the boot in the first place! :thumb:

I have very little luck in clearing up hay :( there is currently hay on my bed... I only changed the sheets yesterday and the bunnies are not in the bedroom! :lol:

Next time you get hay take an old duvet cover and put the bale in it and wrap the end around the bale. It stops the hay getting into the boot in the first place! :thumb:

I have very little luck in clearing up hay :( there is currently hay on my bed... I only changed the sheets yesterday and the bunnies are not in the bedroom! :lol:

I used a duvet at first and found it just as messy as hay gets stuck to that! Last time I had a tarp sheet down and covered it then threaded rope through the eyelets to pull it together and drag it through my house to the back garden, and it was brilliant! Also easy to just plonk the bale in the storage box still in the tarp then I can just take it out shake it off and pick up a new bale :D

Buy a dandy brush ( designed for getting mud off horses) bit like a scrubbing brush but it works really well and only know this from having had horses for about ten years and needing to use my car to transport their hay! You can brush it all into a pile and just Hoover the pile.

I used a duvet at first and found it just as messy as hay gets stuck to that! Last time I had a tarp sheet down and covered it then threaded rope through the eyelets to pull it together and drag it through my house to the back garden, and it was brilliant! Also easy to just plonk the bale in the storage box still in the tarp then I can just take it out shake it off and pick up a new bale :D

Ah, yes the duvet is a write off but I used the same duvet cover for the hay every time. I found giving it a shake outside blew off all of the hay on the outside and protected the car from the next batch!

My duvet cover has been retired now since I moved house and haven't found a local source of good hay yet :(

Back