• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried about Poppy - U/D 11/12 Poppy is home

Whitelighter

Warren Scout
So normally Poppy is loveable and comes for noserubs and treats from me. This morning she was normal, but this lunchtime I came downstairs after a sleep and was surprised to find her sitting I her cage (she has free range if the living room with hr puppy cage as a base) - what is more worrying is her pellets and hay hadn't been eaten much - she gets loads of hay so not too abnormal but the small ramekin if pellets is usually gone very quickly. She had eaten the separate pot if Alfalfa.

I offered her a fenugreek treat which she usually snaffles but she backs away when I approached. She did final year it but wouldn't take it from me. I put my hand in to give he a nose rub and she went made and bolted in what I wold normally associate with fear. She's now sitting behind the curtains behind the sofa and whole I can pick her up she's not coming towards me not is she her usual inquisitive boisterous self.

I've felt her tummy and it doesn't seem any larger. Can pain cause her to act this way? She's 14 weeks old and we've had her from birth so is this maybe hormones kicking in? It seems to have happened very quickly. We have no other pets and no one else in the house so I can think what's scaring her but she thing her feet so something is not right.

Last edited:
What is her output like ?

I thought you had more than one Rabbit :?

Ah,

Smokey is my wife's class rabbit, Poppy's brother who boards with us at the weekend. I have taken responsibility for his health etc hence my descision to insure him as well as our own little pops. By other pets I meant cats/dogs that may have frightened her.

I took the decision that she wasn't right so rang the vet.

Update on Poppy, she had some gas so is staying with Gill at windlesham vets for a few hours for monitoring.

Last edited:
Having spoken to the Gill she is much the same - still bright but not eating so she's in overnight.

Last time this happened I got the phone call in the morning that Poppy's mum Rosie had died. She was also 'doing well but not eating' the night before.

I now feel sick and can probably say good bye to any sleep tonight, which isn't going to help a 4.00am start at work tomorrow :(

Echoing the get well vibes.

Really hope she picks up soon. Such a worry when they don't eat isn't it?

Having spoken to the Gill she is much the same - still bright but not eating so she's in overnight.

Last time this happened I got the phone call in the morning that Poppy's mum Rosie had died. She was also 'doing well but not eating' the night before.

I now feel sick and can probably say good bye to any sleep tonight, which isn't going to help a 4.00am start at work tomorrow :(

As Gill has the practice at her home the fact that she can keep a very close eye on her inpatients always helps me to feel more comfortable. Your rabbit is in good hands :).

Collected Poppy from Gill.

Her tummy has gone back to normal and she has done a couple if poos. She was very scared in the vet though so the thoughts were to bring her home and let her get back to her home environment

She even tolerated a nose rub.

Hope she's ok. Our neighbours lost their 5 year old bunny last night so I'm not sure I could have coped very well if we'd lost Poppy.

Thank goodness for that, especially with knowing how you lost her mother.

I hope she's back to full strength soon.

Back