• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Desperately need urgent advice! UD!

bunnylover1995

Alpha Buck
Two days ago my little sweetheart Angelica (Jelly) passed away.

However now I fear for Mercedes, she has had a full health check since then and is fine, but she is so depressed. She just spends all day hiding in a cardboard box, fearful of everyone and everything.

She will eat tiny amounts of hay at a time, whereas before she was always so greedy and would just be constantly eating, she doesn't seem bothered by her pellets or even carrot peelings! I gave her some bunny treats (awful I know, but I was desperate) which she ate, and this prompted her to drink some, but she's not drinking much.

I left her for a while with Jelly's body so she could say goodbye etc. and I've removed as much as I can which might carry Angelica's scent.

I've given Mercedes a cuddly toy on the vets advice, which she will nuzzle occasionally but that's about it.

She perks up a little when she sits by my dog, as he'll often groom her a little, but he gets bored of her easily and I can't leave them even for a second as he's prone to falling over.

Mercedes just sits there hunched up ears back all the time, she won't hop anywhere unless she has to. She's always been the lively one, who'd bite if you held her too long, now she sits on my lap in a blanket, unmoving for hours. She's like a broken bunny.

I don't know what to do!

How can I get her to eat more? And how can I cheer her up? I'm afraid she'll either starve herself to death or die of a broken heart

I know she might never be the same, but she's not living at the moment, she's just going through the motions, and even when I see a spark of her old self, it's like she remembers again and goes and hides in her box.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your loss :(
My advice is that, even though it will probably feel much too soon, it sounds like it would be best to get another bunny as a companion for Mercedes- from what you've said she sounds like she is a sociable and outgoing bunny so she must be feeling lonely and lost all by herself, and a friend might cheer her up, which should help with the hay eating too, as, if she used to eat loads and has had a health check, it is probably more of an emotional reaction rather than due to pain from teeth etc. I know to think about another bun feels wrong so soon but think about it not as a replacement but somebun to fill the void, for both you and Mercedes, and you will come to love another rabbit for who they are rather than just as a companion for mercedes. I went through the exact same emotions when I lost one of my buns, but seeing my boy snuggling up with his new wifey made me feel much less worried about how he was coping, which let me be able to focus on coming to terms myself with losing a much loved bunny.

In the mean time, how about trying your bunny with loads of different things to eat to tempt her, herbs are particularly good- healthy and yummy so likely to get her interested in eating again- and you can rinse them under the tap to make them wet, thereby increasing water intake.

Hope this helps a bit, and that someone else comes along with more advice for you. Sorry if its rambling- I'm at work and trying to quickly type it out!

Thank you for your advice, I will definitely try running foods under water! I have tried many vegetables but she doesn't seem interested, although she took 4 blades of grass a minute ago.

I know what you mean about getting a new companion, and although I'm not ready, I would consider it were Mercedes not so territorial. She HATES other rabbits, when she goes to the vets I have to face her carrier away from any others or she'll throw herself at the bars, and once when my friend brought his buns around (we were in neutral territory) she attacked them and ended up putting a nasty rip in one of their ears. She's also really obsessed with her house, as much as she loved to snuggle with my dog, if he goes too close to 'her' hutch she will charge him. So I don't think a new companion would work just yet.

I'm sorry you lost Jelly. Do you know what caused her death - you really need to know this before bringing in another rabbit.

One of my rabbits became very depressed when she lost her partner. She, too was very territorial. She didn't really buck up until she was bonded with another partner.

The reaction at the vet, with people bringing other rabbits etc is quite natural with rabbits. They are territorial by nature.

I know you don't feel ready, but I would advise approaching a rescue to see if they have a suitable rabbit they can bond with Mercedes.

I'm so sorry you lost Jelly :cry: I've seen some people on here using a cuddly toy to provide comfort for a lone or grieving bun, might be worth a try. I'd try to tempt her with her favourite foods, if she isn't eating maybe the vet could give her a once over and give a gut stimulant? Sending hugs to you and nose rubs to Mercedes xx

The insulation blew off the run and Jelly decided to sleep out there in -1 wind and the odd bit of rain, she died from exposure.

I'm worried that the hutch will smell too much like Jelly (and Mercedes) to bring another rabbit in to?

I will contact a local rescue at weekend (I can't get transport until then anyways) and see if she perks up in the meantime.

She's not cold or anything, but she keeps shaking too, not like convulsions, more like shivering, the vets ran loads of blood/stool/urine tests on her and told me everything came back fine this morning. Could it just be fear or sadness that's causing her to shiver?

Well, poor little Jelly. :cry:

I think it is probably fear and grief causing Mercedes to behave in this way, but obviously I can't be sure. If you are at all concerned, I would ring your vet again for a chat.

You need to 'neutralise' everything before introducing another rabbit (and you would need to do that in another neutral space anyway, not in mercedes' home). I think people generally recommend diluting white vinegar.

By the way, she will be feeling the cold more now that she is on her own, so I would stuff her hutch full of hay and cover it at night. You've probably already thought of that, just thought I would mention.

I would definitely contact the rescues now, as they do take some time to get back to you. If it's a rescue that's home based they might require you to have an appointment before you go over and leaving it to the weekend to contact them might be too late to arrange a time.

As others have mentioned, vinegar is a good way to neutralise the hutch before bringing a new bunny in. With the territoriality you definitely want to have the rescue bond them on completely neutral territory without you around (you are her object, she'll want to tell the new bunny that you're hers!). It's very rare that bunnies won't be bonded at all, so definitely give it a go. She might want to 'speed date' and choose who she prefers herself, but she should be able to be bonded again.

From previous posts I think she's not spayed, wouldn't really be wise to bring in another bun until you get her spayed and neutralise the hutch. Is there any way you can brig her in for the winter as you wouldn't be able to bring her in and put her out as it will make her sick. Atleast if she's in she has company

Mercedes has started to eat again, and is slowly taking pellets, although she seems very scared still, but it's still a good sign :thumb:

Glad she is perking up a bit. Hope you get loads of cash for Christmas and you can have her spayed and bonded asap. :wave:

Very sorry you lost beautiful little Angelica. :cry:

It is a priority,

but the immediate health of my other animals and family, as well as my studies has to come first :D

I think what Babsie means is you need to get her spayed before you think of another bunny. If money is tight maybe another bun isn't a good idea anyway. How about bringing Mercedes in and having her as a house rabbit? That way she'll have you for company? :love:

I think what Babsie means is you need to get her spayed before you think of another bunny. If money is tight maybe another bun isn't a good idea anyway. How about bringing Mercedes in and having her as a house rabbit? That way she'll have you for company? :love:

Thank you. Yes, it was what I meant - and what I said in my post. I was trying to be helpful! It should be a priority for health reasons, too. I agree with the rest of your post.

Last edited:
I'm sorry you've lost Angelica to such awful circumstances :(

I've got to agree with Babsie - spaying Mercedes should be your main priority before thinking about adopting a neutered male friend for her. I know money can be tight sometimes but it really should be considered a main priority as the chances of uterine cancer gets higher with age.

Mercedes behaviour towards other rabbits does sound like it's down to hormones and frustration of being entire. I'm sure once she's spayed she'll be just fine. :thumb:

Back