• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thinking of Buying From P@H ?

Thats shocking :( in a way I am glad I bought 2 of my buns from pets at home just to stop them from being bought for a ungratefull child on a whim and confined to a small hutch . However I will never buy a bun from therr again as I would like to rescue . I have even managed to source other places to buy better quality hay and toys from so I dont have the need to go to pah anymore .

Sent from my GT-I9505

Absolutely disgusting. There are no words, how can staff treat their animals like that. I thought p@h at least hired people that cared for animals. Is there anyway of sharing that link on FB to make more people aware? Not sure how to do it.

Absolutely disgusting. There are no words, how can staff treat their animals like that. I thought p@h at least hired people that cared for animals. Is there anyway of sharing that link on FB to make more people aware? Not sure how to do it.

I dont use FB but anyone who does can just copy and paste the link

:cry: I still have not spent another penny in P@H since the "VIP" bunny debacle.

Just this weekend gone my friend at work came up to me telling me I would be proud of her for helping find a nice new home for a hamster that someone she knew was rehoming.

This little hamster was being given away as the parents didn't want their child to have an imperfect/disabled hamster (that in itself is another matter :evil: ) P@H had sold him/her to them with a leg missing. They hadn't even noticed, or if they had they didn't say anything! I guess at least the family said they didn't want to return the hamster to P@H as it would maybe meet a bad fate. But still, poor little hammy :(

I remember when I tweeted Watchdog thanking them for showing a bit about P@H (can't remember what now) and random people must have searched for "p@h" and started sending me abuse on twitter :shock:

This is why I don't really get why people use them. Even reasonably well educated friends of mine will buy animals from there and try to argue with me about it - "if you saw that poor little hamster/rat/gerbil you'd have bought it too." "Er... naw". There is absolutely nothing that P@H sell that I can't get cheaper online.

I've been forced to use the shop once in the last year or so for fish medication when there really wasn't the option of leaving it until the other shops opened the following day. In saying that my pet food and toys budget is around £150 every month though I don't spend that 100% of the time. They could make a mint off me if they changed their ways. :lol:

The company is just utter scum, will be sharing this on my facebook when I get home.

This is why I don't really get why people use them. Even reasonably well educated friends of mine will buy animals from there and try to argue with me about it - "if you saw that poor little hamster/rat/gerbil you'd have bought it too." "Er... naw". There is absolutely nothing that P@H sell that I can't get cheaper online.

I've been forced to use the shop once in the last year or so for fish medication when there really wasn't the option of leaving it until the other shops opened the following day. In saying that my pet food and toys budget is around £150 every month though I don't spend that 100% of the time. They could make a mint off me if they changed their ways. :lol:

The company is just utter scum, will be sharing this on my facebook when I get home.

Yes, even just buying food etc from there is supporting the ongoing issue of poor animal welfare :cry:

Yes, even just buying food etc from there is supporting the ongoing issue of poor animal welfare :cry:

Much better places to buy food and toys online, we're very lucky in that we have two garden centres near us that stock equipment but not animals too.

Much better places to buy food and toys online, we're very lucky in that we have two garden centres near us that stock equipment but not animals too.

Our local garden centre stopped selling animals for a couple of years but now they are doing so again :cry:

I used to work in one of these stores and not one of those images surprises me, actually some of them are familiar.

I worked in the store when it first opened, so I think it was good to start with, until our manager said that because we took the animals to the vet every time they were ill, we'd blown the vet bills budget and had to immediately cut down in that area.

The worst experience I had was coming in on a saturday to find a sick rabbit left on a shelf (no cage or food) in the quarantine room with a bottle of water taped to the wall because my :censored::censored: manager couldn't be bothered to deal with the situation.

And

According to Pets at Homes protocol, any animal which is not perfectly healthy must be sent back on the van for another lengthy journey all the way back to the breeder. No member of management was able to inform me what happens to the animal after it is sent away.

They are put down immediately.

About 10 years ago i bought a hamster from P@H, the poor little thing was tiny, i thought he was a baby but he didn't grow and after two weeks i found him dead in the cage one morning, it was heart breaking. I've never bought another animal there, but have occasionly bought food, toys etc. Not anymore after seeing these pics!

Shared it on facebook, it's certainly a lot milder than some of the stories I've heard from there but hopefully it'll put some people off

I've shared on Facebook. Absolutely shocking and am gutted I must have missed the Watchdog report as I had no idea :oops:

As for P@H, :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:

that is dreadful.

but surely it comes down to the individual stores? ie some staff probably try to do more.

i buy my stuff from kennelgate - they don't sell live animals and seem much more ethical :D

Last edited:
I posted the link to this article on Pets at Home's facebook page and they have replied:

"Hi Jess,

First of all I would like to say how deeply shocked I am to see the photographs that are on the blog you have mentioned. I have worked for Pets at Home for nearly 7 years and can assure you that we care very passionately about our pets and indeed, I am a pet owner myself. We were made aware of this late yesterday and can assure you it is being dealt with at the highest level including ALL our Senior Directors and our Head of Pets who has been a qualified vet for over 20 years.

We are trying to contact the blog author to discover which store was involved and we will complete an extensive investigation into their pet care routines immediately. All our stores have strict procedures they must follow to ensure that the pets are well cared for. Our Field Pet Managers and Pet Team work extremely closely with our stores to audit and check on their routines on a regular basis and all our stores have close links with local Vets or our in-house veterinary team to ensure any pet that is unwell receives the treatment they require as soon as possible.

We have already informed the RSPCA in relation to the information provided and we’ll continued to work closely and openly with them throughout.

Please note that this is being taken extremely seriously and we do put pets before profit; no stone will be left unturned to get to the bottom of this.

We would ask that if you’d like to follow up any of the below and to ensure that nothing is missed, for you to contact our dedicated Customer Service team who are fully aware of the below on 0800 3284204 or cservice@petsathome.co.uk – this also includes if you have any further information which will help us to investigate this.

Thanks

Chris @ Pets at Home"

We were made aware of this late yesterday and can assure you it is being dealt with at the highest level including ALL our Senior Directors and our Head of Pets who has been a qualified vet for over 20 years.

That would be the one behind this atrocity

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...!!!-*worse-than-ever!*&highlight=import+spain

The one also on the Board of the Pet Industry Foundation (previously known as the Pet Care Trust) who represent the Pet Shop Trade

The 8th person down on the list on here

http://www.petcare.org.uk/index.php/about-us/pcta-directors

I am sorry, but that company are :censored: and for all their claims about how important animal welfare is to them all the company care about is MONEY MONEY MONEY :evil:

Maximise profits and placate the punters with empty statements about how much they 'care'

A load of 'pony and trap'

:censored: :censored: :censored:

Back