• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

dexters not eating pellets

Rexripley

Mama Doe
Hes eating hay and veg, drinking and having golden poos as normal but doesnt show much interest in pellets lately. He spends all day munching hay. Is this something I should be worried about?

I'd take him to the vet tbh.

Ludo's first sign of his recent stasis was refusing pellets, hay etc came later.

I'd take him to the vet tbh.

Ludo's first sign of his recent stasis was refusing pellets, hay etc came later.

Hes never really been a big pellet eater. The others wolf down their pellets in seconds. Dexters always just kind of picked at them and left heaps. Thats over two months we've had him now. Wonder if I should try other pellets?

Is he seeming less interested tin pellets that he used to like. I agree that hay is the most important food for rabbits, but any change in eating habits is definitely worth investigating. :wave:

Is he seeming less interested tin pellets that he used to like. I agree that hay is the most important food for rabbits, but any change in eating habits is definitely worth investigating. :wave:

Hes never really shown an interest in pellets. Unlike the others who would eat them first then hay. Dexters always just concentrated on the hay. He has the odd pellet now and then. Should I try other pellets?

I would try another pellet and if not then maybe pop to the vets. He may just be a fussy bunny but best to make sure there is nothing wrong. I know when Doughnut has been ill pellets are the first thing she doesn't want to eat and then when she is getting better, the pellets are still the last thing she goes back to. Normally she would beg and beg for a pellet.

If it isn't a sudden change in behaviour and he is still eating everything else I would just leave him be, pellets are like 'sweets' anyway (according to my vet), so it won't do him any harm in not having them.

If it was more sudden and he had previously liked his pellets and had decreased his intake either suddenly or over a few days I would have been more inclined to have his teeth checked, but as that isn't the case I wouldn't worry, maybe he's a health conscious bun ;)

Back