• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why can't I litter train them

Willowsmum

Mama Doe
*sigh* as some of you know I'm fostering 2 female rabbits.......despite my best efforts I cannot litter train them:roll: I've never owned unlitter trained rabbits, I've always managed to litter train them easily :roll:it makes life hard!

Any tips welcome :wave:

Mine aren't litter trained. I've had them from 9 weeks old and they are now 6 years old and they are both spayed. They do toilet in litter trays but they also toilet next to litter trays and in corners. i think its because there is hay all over the floor (because of Molly's sore hocks, I use hay to provide a soft floor) so they just eat and poo pretty much everywhere.

My Daisy is kind of half and half. She will use the litter tray and knows what it is for, but does quite often pee next to it instead. :evil:

I am really hoping she will stop doing that once she is speyed.

What kind of litter trays have you got? Also, have you tried putting in something they have peed on so it smells like them? I'm sure you've already tried it, just trying to think of ideas!

Also what do you put in the litter trays? If they have similar things to their surroundings, like hay in the litter tray and hay everywhere else, it could confuse them. I keep mine on carpet and keep straw and newspaper in the litter tray, and hay for eating. My rabbits all immediately associated newspaper with a toilet, I don't know why.

Lola kind of litter trained herself, I left out the box and put down newspaper, and as soon as she did it in one place 90% of the time, I replaced the paper with a box full of hay. There's an occasional stray poo but they're always near the litter box, like she hasn't quite got to the box in time, but she never ever wees anywhere but her box.

Are they indoor or outdoor?

I have tried every trick under the sun but mine refuse to be litter trained apart from peeing in the tray (but not the one I specifically put there for peeing in!!!)

Doughnut was totally litter trained even poops but when she got ill and was wet from straining it was all totally lost. Now she is dry she has litter trained herself again but she does sometimes wee next to the litter tray. I've also noticed that as she loves to eat hay out of the bag, when I put that down she wees on that, so I think hay outside of her litter tray confuses her as she piddles on it.

I've now given her three litter trays! One in the dark part of her hutch, which I don't think she thinks is a litter tray as I put hay in that one. Another one is in her play pen and she knows that's a litter tray as I never have wees in the playpen or hutch when she is shut in at night, only poops.

The other one which is outside of her hutch she does jump in and go in quite a lot of the time but she also piddles next to it in the evenings. It's strange as I never come home to anything outside the litter trays during the day, its just the evening but i have noticed that she tiddles more in the evening anyway.

I would try putting a few different litter trays out and see if having more works. Doughnut now poops just around her hutch and inside it and the play pen, I don't often get them scattered around the room, think she is just making sure she gets more territory!

Back