• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit grooming. Help!

ashbunny

Alpha Buck
Bailey has a bit of an issue with grooming, when I picked him up from the rescue they'd shaved a lot of the problem areas but said he would need a helping hand which we've been giving, I have been brushing him regularly but can't seem to catch the mats. I've been managing to tease or cut some of his matted fur out but some of his fur is matted to the skin and therefore impossible to tease or cut out without pulling or cutting the skin. I haven't found bathing the problem area to be of any help at all.

Ash had to go to vet recently for checkup so I took Bailey as well for a "de-mat" but they didn't do a very good job, probably because he wriggles so much, some of the problem areas are by his feet/around his "armpits" etc where I just can't reach safely.

He has a clean bum so I don't think it's a mobility issue. He is incisorless, which isn't a problem for Ash as she is fastidious but perhaps more of an issue for him. No problems with his back teeth, vet checked recently. He isn't long haired but is quite fluffy/soft coated.

Is it is safe to buy/use electric clippers for bunny mats? Can anyone recommend any?

Back