• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pat has sore hocks and I can't work out how!

catxx

Mama Doe
They're indoors, living on fleece blankets. She's not over weight, if anything I'm concerned she's a little under. And yet she has little pink sore hocks, not looking too horrific but will be going to the vets ASAP.

Can't work out how though??! Thought maybe she was hiding hind end problems and maybe was walking funny, but she must have heard us as she went belting up the stairs and back down again.

I'm bemused, what have I done wrong!

Awh, it doesn't necessarily mean that you've done anything wrong. Some buns are just predisposed for a number of reasons. What breed is she? Rexes and some other breeds are way more susceptible.

It could also just be something as simple as the type of carpet you have, or perhaps she just has wonky hips that don't cause any problems but cause her to put pressure on her feet slightly weirdly and so it gets sore when it usually wouldn't.

Hopefully since you've spotted it so early you'll be able to treat it well :D Good luck at the vets :D

Milly has sore hocks and I also can't work out why. She's the perfect weight, her nails are kept short, they live on foam tiles (and before that it was lino covered in thick hay). She's had meds and the vets have checked her out and also have no idea why!

They haven't been on the foam tiles long so I'm going to give it till January and then if there's still no improvement, back to vets. I've tried sudocrem too (at vets suggestion) and that didn't help, but she got so stressed at being handled too :(

They're Nethie/Lop mix bunnies, they are both (her and her brother Bob) 8 years old now though. She's the white and brown butterfly.

As you can see (pic taken this evening) it's not overly obvious!
11275310004_8389f3d21d_z.jpg

And yeah, mostly fleece blankets like that too.

Is she less active? Sitting in the same position for longer?
As bunnies (and people) get older they get slower and stiff it's like old people having bed sores maybe get the vet to check her for arthritis ?

Hmm, the bed sore theory might be it. They are in a 6ft square(ish) pen, with that opened when we're home (although they have the largest floor area in our whole tiny house!) and are encouraged to run around with toys and I will scatter dried herb/wild plant treats around the pen for them to run around and hoover up. On milder days they still get a bit of outside time (had a hard time getting Pat in last week!).

Have a vet appointment tomorrow morning so we shall see!

If its just a bald spot, pale pink and callousy looking that can be totally normal. Its only if its red and inflammed you need to worry.

If its just a bald spot, pale pink and callousy looking that can be totally normal. Its only if its red and inflammed you need to worry.

It is that, I'll get them checked anyway! Little concerned about their weights at the moment anyway so might as well get them MOT'd!

Her hocks were a little swollen. Have anti-inflammatories and Baytril to try and get in her, wasn't particularly successful this morning

I think bigger rabbits are also more susceptible to sore hocks as well, that's what we were told with Benji. :wave:

You could phone the vets and ask for advice. :) I was panicked because I could see spots of blood on the floor, but thankfully it wasn't serious.

I think bigger rabbits are also more susceptible to sore hocks as well, that's what we were told with Benji. :wave:

You could phone the vets and ask for advice. :) I was panicked because I could see spots of blood on the floor, but thankfully it wasn't serious.

Pat is only 1.7kg! She's only a little girl. I'm doing everything right to prevent sore hocks, they're not overweight and they're on soft flooring, we suspect it may instead be related to pressure sores due to her age or arthritis, the latter being difficult to diagnose.

Am going to do this course of meds and monitor them. If she is still looking sore there will have to investigate the arthritis theory further, possibly long term pain meds instead.

Back