• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

U/D they're fine, I'm stupid! Nena and Tapla have both lost weight

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
I noticed about 5-6 days ago that they'd both lost about 600g. I have been cutting back on their pellets a lot over the last 6+ months as they were a bit on the big side, so I figured I must've cut back too far. Today I weighed them and Tapla has gained about 300g but Nena has gained none.

They're okay in themselves - naughty and happy! They both wolf down their food and I watch them eat it all. Poops normal apart from a week of stringy, fur type poos when they were moulting.

I'm not so concerned about Tapla as she's gained a good amount of weight in those days. But with Nena's huge jaw/tooth abcess that she had earlier in the year I'm concerned that it's come back or there's teeth things happening :(

I'm going to ring the vets tomorrow and get an appointment on Monday/Tuesday, ideally with the same vet that looked after Nena all those months ago.

I'm very worried, mostly about Nena but about Tapla too. I noticed Tapla's breathing was strange when I went in earlier, but perhaps it's just because she was excited about pellets (she does tend to snuffle and honk around pellets as she's so pleased!).

I wish it wasn't a Sunday :(

Last edited:
Thank you both. I rang earlier to get an appointment but the one rabbit savvy vet has left to go travelling and the other one isn't in until next Monday :cry: Don't know what to do now. Most vets around here are useless :( I've asked in rabbit chat, hopefully someone will be able to help...

300g seems a huge gain in a week, are you sure if Nena hasn't gained any that Tapla didn't get most of the extra ones? I agree a vet check is in order but if you do have to wait till next week atleast then you will have a better idea of a pattern to the weight. Have you tried feeding seperately?

300g seems a huge gain in a week, are you sure if Nena hasn't gained any that Tapla didn't get most of the extra ones? I agree a vet check is in order but if you do have to wait till next week atleast then you will have a better idea of a pattern to the weight. Have you tried feeding seperately?

That was with feeding them separately unfortunately :(

Well hopefully it will just be a food thing. She's maintaining weight so at least that is something. Some bunnies do need more than others - but given her history I agree vets is a good choice.

Well hopefully it will just be a food thing. She's maintaining weight so at least that is something. Some bunnies do need more than others - but given her history I agree vets is a good choice.

Indeed, hopefully it's just me being a bit dim and forgetting to slightly up their food for winter. Nena has stayed the same weight today and was being a naughty little thing so she's fine in herself, but it's worrying. I'm trying not to worry too much though, as if they have both lost the same kind of weight it's probably directly my fault.

I'm really beating myself up over this. I've been weighing them every 2 weeks since Nena was poorly, but I hadn't done any for a month before this last weigh as I was just ridiculously busy. I should have noticed this sooner :cry:

My old vet has left the practice but I've managed to get an appointment with Marie Kubiak at Manor vets in Edgbaston and she's excellent with bunnies. I've rang petplan and I've already used £733 of Nena's £2000 this policy year, so I'm worried about that. It renews in June...

Try not to worry ((HUGS)).

Even if it is food related you've noticed it now and are getting it sorted.

Thank you both. Bunnies are such a nightmare - it's so hard to notice these things.

I've heard very good things about Marie Kubiak too, so I'm very pleased that she's so close and available to see me. I hadn't realised quite how close she was until I looked it up on google maps!

I'm just worried that there's something going on with Nena now. I had prepared myself for the fact that she might not get through her abcess and that even if she did she might not have very long left after, but it'd been a good 5 months and I guess I was just enjoying her being healthy. Hope it's nothing and she stays that way :(

There's a chance that I'm a total plank, and that Nena has in fact not lost any weight at all. I think Tapla may have lost about 250g from what she was before, but has now gained it all back which is fine. I need to ring my vets tomorrow to check how much Nena weighed at her last follow-up appointment, but I think I've just got totally confused and thought they were both back up to 3.5kg when they haven't been that for over a year. After thinking about it carefully, I'm pretty sure that Nena was about 2.5 when she was discharged from treatment and Tapla was about 2.75kg... which is what they are now :oops:

There's a chance that I'm a total plank, and that Nena has in fact not lost any weight at all. I think Tapla may have lost about 250g from what she was before, but has now gained it all back which is fine. I need to ring my vets tomorrow to check how much Nena weighed at her last follow-up appointment, but I think I've just got totally confused and thought they were both back up to 3.5kg when they haven't been that for over a year. After thinking about it carefully, I'm pretty sure that Nena was about 2.5 when she was discharged from treatment and Tapla was about 2.75kg... which is what they are now :oops:

Yep, I'm an idiot! Nena has in fact put on 100g since she was discharged, which is fab. I think I must've got mixed up as Tapla had actually lost about 200g but she's put it all back on now so I'll just continue to weigh her until she's stable. She has been moulting fairly heavily so I'm not concerned.

I must write their weights down :oops:

:D I do this ALL the time :roll:
Mimzy always looks to me like he is not eating enough or feels 'boney'...I got him to his vet this last weekend and he'd gained! :shock:
I figure he must be sneaking sweeties in the middle of the night while I'm asleep as I have no idea how he's keeping it on! :lol:

So glad to hear all is well with N and T. :love: ((((((Huge hugs)))))) for you, it must be such a relief. :) xxxx

I asked the vet to weigh Mottle as he had 'obviously' lost weight. He had gained :oops:

Writing the weights down is a good idea. Must do it myself!

Back