• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dandruff on the back of ears?

Jesselle

Mama Doe
I've just noticed that Neville has a few flakes of dandruff on the back of his ears. The insides are clean. I assume it's either mites or dry skin.

He's only been a house bunny for just under 2 months, previously living outside. He's had a recent health scare after nibbling a live wire (see thread), so has had two vets trips in the last week.

I'm not keen on stressing him out again with a vets trip - would calling the vet for advice be enough? Or to diagnose / rule out mites does he need to be seen?

Poor Neville!

Probably mites, they are really common and often come in on the hay I think.

A vet visit would be advisable but I think you can get over the counter treatments. Maybe phone the vet and see which one they suggest. I believe the xeno ones are good. Just avoid bob Martin ones as they are about as much use as a chocolate teapot! Plus I would avoid the shampoos as bathing a bunny if its not needed is very stressful!

Agree with Hele, probably mites. Leo and Kerbie had them a few weeks ago, they hitch a ride in bags/bales of hay!

We get Xeno 450 from the vets (cost £31.45 for 6 tubes according to the reciept) and after applying that and brushing the fur for a few days it usually disappears :) When we took Leo on he was caked in walking dandruff :( big lump of it, took weeks for us to clear it..!

Last edited:
Thanks both :)

I'll phone the vet and see if she'll prescribe without going in as it's so stressful for him.

Will he be OK til Monday?

Also, some mites in hamsters flare up when they're under the weather. They're app always present but don't cause issues until hams have a lowered immune system.

Is it diff for rabbits?

Oh and a final Q - do you keep the hay??

Last edited:
It could be the stress of biting through a live wire followed by 2 vet's visits. He will possibly need a course of 3 injections of Ivermectin, not expensive.

Ok, will ring vet and see what she suggests.

So, stress is linked to mites? Does that mean they can be present but not cause issues?

Yes, as stress lowers the immune system and the mites get out of control. The same as us carrying thrush, most of the time the body's immune system keeps it in check.

I'm picking up some Xeno from the vet later on, I'm glad Neville can try this first before going in for another visit.

Much less stressful for him!

Back