• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cryptorchidectomy & what did you pay?

silverrabbit

Mama Doe
Baloo (formally Blue) is the bunny who I took in from the people who kept him with a female continuously :evil: Anyway, he went for his castration on Wednesday and I was expecting things to be straightforward. He is almost impossible to handle and bum check so I didn't check too closely before taking him down.

Had a phonecall from the vet to say he was under GA but they could only locate 1 testicle and his left side didn't have a developed scrotum, and that they would need to do a more complicated op to locate the missing testicle. He said the cost would be more and a normal castrate is £57/ spay £62 so I was perhaps expecting £200ish. Nope, the bill was £460 :cry: :? only had him 2 weeks at that point :roll:

Is this normal or is the price above average? My vet nurse friend was shocked but then she's in Scotland and i'm in London so prices are prob a bit different anyway.

Poor Baloo :( luckily he's recovering well now, but had to syringe feed him up until last night

I've had two cryptorchid dogs and neither cost that much to castrate - that's extortionate :censored:

Yeah, I thought it was a bit mad.. :evil: I think when i'm a bit more settled after all my recent issues I will write a letter to head office. Will call around some local vets and see what they charge to back myself up a bit

Medivet are extremely expensive. I paid nearly £1000 for my bunny Daisy to have abscesses drained and teeth burred, it was a very touch and go op as the abscess was in her cheek and sadly i lost her two weeks later.

Back