• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Back legs...

Jojo123

Mama Doe
When I look at Alfies back legs when hes hopping about its like his hocks are turned in and his back feet turn out, Busters arnt like this as they are strait. Anyone elses buns back legs do this or is it abnormal?

Thanks for the reply Jane, would this be a problem for him? He races around and does impressive binkys! I only noticed not so long ago as I was lying on the floor watching them have a run about as hes really furry you cant really see his legs.

Thanks for the reply Jane, would this be a problem for him? He races around and does impressive binkys! I only noticed not so long ago as I was lying on the floor watching them have a run about as hes really furry you cant really see his legs.

It may not be that at all, if he is otherwise very mobile he may just have an odd gait. A congenital deformity can cause luxation of the hip joint. The only way to establish what is going on would be to get xrays taken. But as he is not in any discomfort and is as mobile as normal then I would not see any benefit for him to do that.

Fiver hops like this. I wasn't sure if it was to do with him being a boy (his hips are different to my two does obviously), but he does have arthritis in hips and sore hocks. I have noticed that he is more "splayed" in the way he hops recently. He is due to get xrays when he next has a dental. Fiver still races about, binkies and can jump very high!

Could you maybe pop your bun to the vets to get a good examination? They should be able to feel if he has any "crunching" in his joints, or if he seems to be in any pain. The only way to know for sure is to have xrays. I wouldn't worry too much as long as he seems happy and active.

ETA: Sorry for the same post as Jane! She replied whilst I was typing. :lol: :thumb:

Thanks, hes not even one yet and hes very small just over 1kg. Guess its something to keep an eye on as he gets older then. The thread about the purebread dogs reminded me of it as hes a pure bread lionhead I wondered if it was bad breeding that made his legs turn in a bit

Fiver hops like this. I wasn't sure if it was to do with him being a boy (his hips are different to my two does obviously), but he does have arthritis in hips and sore hocks. I have noticed that he is more "splayed" in the way he hops recently. He is due to get xrays when he next has a dental. Fiver still races about, binkies and can jump very high!

Could you maybe pop your bun to the vets to get a good examination? They should be able to feel if he has any "crunching" in his joints, or if he seems to be in any pain. The only way to know for sure is to have xrays. I wouldn't worry too much as long as he seems happy and active.

ETA: Sorry for the same post as Jane! She replied whilst I was typing. :lol: :thumb:

Thanks for reply, how old is Fiver? What breed is he? Alfie doesn't have sore hocks i check that as they spend all their time on carpet but he has very fluffy feet so this may be extra protection than other buns that arnt so fluffy? Im sure hes not in pain but then i think that if it is his hips then its may be a problem as he gets older?

Thanks for reply, how old is Fiver? What breed is he? Alfie doesn't have sore hocks i check that as they spend all their time on carpet but he has very fluffy feet so this may be extra protection than other buns that arnt so fluffy? Im sure hes not in pain but then i think that if it is his hips then its may be a problem as he gets older?

Yes, I would think that IF it is a problem with his hips/posture, he will likely suffer with them as he gets older.

Fiver is now 6 and he is a little dutchieX (He's the first bun in my sig). He weights around 1.9kg and has since being an adult. His sore hocks are a result of him having problems in his hips. He started showing symptoms around a year or so ago (so he was about 5). He was fine as soon as the warmer weather came, and even managed to go without any painkillers. He is currently on some painkillers since the colder weather came along and has joint supplements every day, but he is very happy and completely pain free atm.

I wouldn't worry too much, but make sure you check his hocks every now and again. If you are worried you can always have an xray done, but for now, I'd just make sure he is acting normal. :thumb:

Yes, I would think that IF it is a problem with his hips/posture, he will likely suffer with them as he gets older.

Fiver is now 6 and he is a little dutchieX (He's the first bun in my sig). He weights around 1.9kg and has since being an adult. His sore hocks are a result of him having problems in his hips. He started showing symptoms around a year or so ago (so he was about 5). He was fine as soon as the warmer weather came, and even managed to go without any painkillers. He is currently on some painkillers since the colder weather came along and has joint supplements every day, but he is very happy and completely pain free atm.

I wouldn't worry too much, but make sure you check his hocks every now and again. If you are worried you can always have an xray done, but for now, I'd just make sure he is acting normal. :thumb:

Thanks, hes due for his jabs in a few months so will speak to the vet about it then. Think its good where possible to have a heads up if its going to be a problem then in a few years time i can be on the lookout for any signs of joint pain :wave:

Back