• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Minor bloat incident?

Ailstar

Mama Doe
Last weekend I was away and my parents were only bunny sitting duty. When I got home I asked if everything had gone ok, and they said that yes, both Levi and Daisy were fine now, except that Levi had not been himself on Saturday morning, hadn't wanted to eat his breakfast and was lying down not wanting to move. Obviously I was quite alarmed by this, but my mum and dad has said they had left him in the hutch for the day and had kept an eye on him and that by the evening he had been back to normal and had nommed his dinner the same as normal. He's been absolutely fine since as well, just his normal licky, bouncy self. Now my parents know that if a bunny stops eating it is a bad sign, I made sure I told them that, and if he hadn't eaten in the evening they would have rung me and taken him to the vet. My main question is can Buns get mild attacks of bloat that pass on their own without treatment? I asked if they had been given anything unusual to eat and they hadn't, in fact the veg on Friday had been minimal as I still don't give them a lot due to excess caecals. It's just confusing me what it could have been. They are also going to the vet tonight to have their nails clipped so I might mention it just to see what they say.

It could have been abdominal discomfort due to slow gut motility and a build up of gas. Occasionally this can resolve with minimal intervention but IMO it is always better to consult a Vet if the Rabbit does not improve after a couple of hours. I would never advise leaving it all day to 'wait and see' as sometimes that could lead to a very tragic outcome. I would definitely get they Rabbits checked over this evening when the have their nails trimmed.

I agree with Jane.
Truffle gets tummy troubles relatively often. We normally keep a very close eye on her and give it a 'few' hours before whisking her off to the vets. Difficult to be specific as it depends when we find her (e.g. if we've been out all day we've no idea how long she's been like that so would take her very quickly), how bad she is, whether she appears to be improving etc. I would say I'd usually give it no more than 2-3 hours though. Quite often she does come through it on her own, but sometimes we do have to take her - I can't know for sure what would happen on those occasions if we didn't take her, but I'd rather not take the risk.

Sadly I lost a bunny to bloat earlier this year and I will always wonder if I'd caught it sooner whether he would have been ok :(

Could it have been fur? Tia does this every now and then, and has a few strung poops, but rights herself in an hour or so x

Yes, well if I had been there I would have taken him to get checked out, but I my parents are relative novices with all this, although they obviously knew something was up when he didn't eat. I did reiterate just how dangerous it can be for bunnies not to eat when I got home so if it happens again when I am away they will be ringing me and taking him straight to the vets. In a way in this instance (since it all ended up being fine) I'm quite glad I was unaware of it, as I'd have been a stressed out wreck!

Could it have been fur? Tia does this every now and then, and has a few strung poops, but rights herself in an hour or so x

Ooh I don't know (as I wasn't there to inspect the poos) but it could have been, Levi is particularly flooofy at the moment being a lion lop with a winter coat on...

Back