• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly bunny advise needed!

Amy1989

Young Bun
Hi :wave: first post here I'm Amy I will let you know a bit more about me later as I'm in a bit of a hurry!

I'm hoping some one will be able to give me some advice. Billy my 1 year old Netherland dwarf became poorly yesterday morning. The night before at 10pm he was his normal self, ate everything in sight, lots of droppings running around etc. Yesterday morning when I checked him at 7am before work he was very lethargic and reluctant to move around. He showed no interest in breakfast and when on closer inspection he was shaking. I rushed him off to the vets and luckily my vet who I normally see was consulting. He gave him a good check over and found he had a ulcer on his eye:( he suspected the pain from the ulcer was causing him not to eat. He gave him some thing for his eye, fluids and pain relief, also recovery food to give home. Billy took a turn for the worse so he was kept in overnight at the vets on a drip and syringe feeding. My vet was concerned he had gone into GI statis. When I phoned this morning to check on Billy I spoke to another vet, who I'm really not fond of and try to avoid! He said billy seemed more comfortable this morning and his eye had improved slightly. However he had not passed any droppings or eaten. Vet then went on to say he thinks it isn't his eye which has caused the problem he thinks teeth are a possibility. Billy and my other rabbits have all had dentals before so I know the signs pretty well. The way it happened so quickly I'm really not convinced he needs a dental. Plus my normal vet yesterday said there were spurs but nothing to the extent to need a dental or cause him to stop eating. So this vet suggested a dental and x ray today which would cost £200. The bill so far is £205. I'm really stuck what to do now do I go ahead with the dental which might not even be needed? Or give him more time to see if he picks up? I'm worried the anaesthetic might make him worse or I might even loose him :cry: I know this sounds awful but I really don't trust this vet my normal vet is brilliant with my bunnies and is very rabbit savvy but he is not in today:(

Sounds like its very likely it could be a dental issue
You say you know the signs, but not all bunnies are the same... I have one that eats and acts normally and then suddenly decides not to eat and i get NO warning whatsoever
Some rabbits stop eating with the tiniest of spurs
Hope you get some answers and bunny is ok xx

Hi :wave: first post here I'm Amy I will let you know a bit more about me later as I'm in a bit of a hurry!

I'm hoping some one will be able to give me some advice. Billy my 1 year old Netherland dwarf became poorly yesterday morning. The night before at 10pm he was his normal self, ate everything in sight, lots of droppings running around etc. Yesterday morning when I checked him at 7am before work he was very lethargic and reluctant to move around. He showed no interest in breakfast and when on closer inspection he was shaking. I rushed him off to the vets and luckily my vet who I normally see was consulting. He gave him a good check over and found he had a ulcer on his eye:( he suspected the pain from the ulcer was causing him not to eat. He gave him some thing for his eye, fluids and pain relief, also recovery food to give home. Billy took a turn for the worse so he was kept in overnight at the vets on a drip and syringe feeding. My vet was concerned he had gone into GI statis. When I phoned this morning to check on Billy I spoke to another vet, who I'm really not fond of and try to avoid! He said billy seemed more comfortable this morning and his eye had improved slightly. However he had not passed any droppings or eaten. Vet then went on to say he thinks it isn't his eye which has caused the problem he thinks teeth are a possibility. Billy and my other rabbits have all had dentals before so I know the signs pretty well. The way it happened so quickly I'm really not convinced he needs a dental. Plus my normal vet yesterday said there were spurs but nothing to the extent to need a dental or cause him to stop eating. So this vet suggested a dental and x ray today which would cost £200. The bill so far is £205. I'm really stuck what to do now do I go ahead with the dental which might not even be needed? Or give him more time to see if he picks up? I'm worried the anaesthetic might make him worse or I might even loose him :cry: I know this sounds awful but I really don't trust this vet my normal vet is brilliant with my bunnies and is very rabbit savvy but he is not in today:(

I am sorry to hear that Billy is not well. Personally I would go with your gut instincts re the Vet you trust. Billy will need to continue with intensive care in the meantime so may have to remain at the Vets. But you could politely request that your usual Vet gives his/her opinion tomorrow regarding the need for a GA/Dental. As you have said, a GA when a Rabbit is already in gut stasis is more risky and if there is a doubt that it is absolutely essential I would want to await the opinion of the Vet I trust. Obviously if the situation is critical and a decision has to be made today then waiting for your trusted Vet wont be an option. But it sounds as though things have not reached that stage yet.

I agree with Jane, If its non critical I would ask for a second opinion for the vet you are most comfortable with.

What vets do you use?

I don't have any advice re vets - I know how awful it is when you don't have confidence in them but I don't know what can be done.

I just wanted to say that Fudge needed her first dental earlier this year and it was very sudden just like with your bunny - fine one minute and not eating/moving the next. The vet operated and found only small spurs, which she thought wouldn't normally bother a rabbit, but they obviously bothered Fudge! She was right as rain again as soon as she came around.

I agree with Jane, If its non critical I would ask for a second opinion for the vet you are most comfortable with.

What vets do you use?

I use Avon lodge vets

Thanks everyone. I've just spoke to the vet and Billy's still not eaten or passed anything although he's taking the syringe food quite well. I really didn't want to make the decision with out speaking to my vet I normally see first, but I think waiting until tomorrow will be to risky. He's going for a dental this afternoon fingers crossed now that his teeth are the problem, I guess if not at least they are ruled out.
Will keep you updated on Billy's progress :)

Here is the little monkey :D sorry if it's a little large not sure how to resize yet!

2pzgthi.jpg

Lots of vibes for him - he's :love::love:

I've never used avonlodge for bunnies though my dad uses the bishopsworth one for his dog and the staff are always friendly.

I use Golden Valley in Nailsea - its a bit of a trek for me now as I no longer live there but they are absolutely fantastic with the buns.

Thank you Amy104 :)

Going to try and keep myself busy as I'm dreading the phone ringing incase it's bad news. Ah bunnies they sure know how to worry us don't they. :lol:

I'm just back from the vets. Billy had his dental late this afternoon and all went well thankfully :) there were quite a few spurs found on closer inspection. By the time I went to visit this evening he was so much brighter and even done a few poos and had a nibble of food:D So the teeth must have been a factor along side his eye. The vet was happy for him to come home and carry on the syringe feeding until he starts to eat properly. I've just had a peek at him and he's busy exploring as he's in the unheated spare room for the night so I can keep a close eye on him. :love:

Back