• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping rabbits on wire floored cages

Not *all* americans do. Just a lot - because its considered the way its done by some.

Its strange how in one county what's acceptable is different to another and some not at all, feel sorry for the poor rabbits kept on wire :(

I'm a member of that forum and learnt a huge amount of knowledge on there. Yes, accommodation is not up to our standard but in some ways they excel ahead of us- such as with medical knowledge and options. There are some amazing people on there who love their bunnies and do the best they can for them. Please don't tarnish them all with the same sweeping statement.

Not trying to tarnish them all, I know that and again going back to previous post you find different levels of care and housing from all countries, just stating a fact that I feel sorry for the rabbits kept on wire cage floors

That in itself is a fine statement to make, in my opinion, but if you're feeling sorry for bunnies kept on wire flooring... why is your thread called '*removed* forum'?

Last edited by a moderator:
because that's where I saw them and there seems to be a lot on that forum kept on these floors and told that this housing is fine.

I've changed the title of the thread as we don't allow 'naming and shaming'.

It's fine to have a general discussion about wire-floored cages in general so I'll leave this open for now but there's no need to name the particular forum though and, as Sky-O pointed out, it's not fair to make sweeping statements about that whole online community.

The ones who do often state hygiene as a reason, and many refuse to believe there are any negative effects to the rabbits living this way :(
Sadly, a lot of owners don't research their pets needs and just do the "standard", which is the same reason many rabbits in this country live in tiny hutches.

Yeah not all Americans do. It's a shame that the ones who do use wire flooring put a bad light on the rest of us.

The ones that do usually either don't realize you can keep rabbits on solid flooring, or they think it's more hygienic or convenient. Which I can't understand - surely it's easier (and more hygienic) to roll up newspaper and put down fresh than it is to remove the tray, clean the tray, put the tray back and clean the mesh wire which gets fur and poop stuck in it :?

As far as I've seen, a majority of pet rabbit owners in the US do keep their rabbits either free range or in cages/hutches with solid bottom floors. Because other forums also have rabbit breeders as members, those may be the pictures that you are seeing. Rabbit breeders more commonly are the ones that keep their rabbits on wire floors. The reasons that I know of are for the mentioned reason of hygiene and helping to prevent illnesses that can be spread from the feces and urine. Also because of the warmer climate in the summer in a majority of the states, added airflow from wire bottom floors also helps keep the rabbits cooler.

As far as I've seen, a majority of pet rabbit owners in the US do keep their rabbits either free range or in cages/hutches with solid bottom floors. Because other forums also have rabbit breeders as members, those may be the pictures that you are seeing. Rabbit breeders more commonly are the ones that keep their rabbits on wire floors. The reasons that I know of are for the mentioned reason of hygiene and helping to prevent illnesses that can be spread from the feces and urine. Also because of the warmer climate in the summer in a majority of the states, added airflow from wire bottom floors also helps keep the rabbits cooler.

I think that's actually a legit reason to have wire flooring. When I had outdoor buns I covered the wire with newspaper but left an area for them to lay on the wire and they often did when it was hot out :)

So it's not all bad but a lot of people don't offer any place or only small places for the rabbits to get off the wire.

Back