• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not weight bearing on front paw but acted ok at at vets

LainiT

Warren Scout
I think Bandit bumped his front paw on the litter tray as he charged off with his Fenugreek crunchie:roll:
I whisked him off to the emergency vet at 11pm last night as he wasn't weight bearing on it, but typical bunny he was right as rain running round on their floor!
She examined him, had a good feel of his paws and he didn't appear to be in pain so he had a metacam injection and she sent us home with more metacam for later this morning. I felt like a right worrier!! BUT he's still not weight bearing on it this morning. How long do I leave him before I go back in?? He's using it to wash, and he's eating fine, he just can't hop properly or put it down when he's sat, and he loves to do those looooooong stretches before he hops off somewhere, that's a no no now bless him!

Mine had this a while back. Took her to the vets and she was fine :roll: the vet said it's their emergency instinct kicking in, they're in a strange and possibly dangerous place (in their eyes) so they can't show any pain as that'd make them weak and easy prey.

We kept her on Metacam, reduced her enclosure size to give her a bit more of a rest and the sprain healed up within a week :)

Bless him, he's trying his hardest to be normal but he's obviously hurting :( thanks for the reassurance, after he'd hopped round fine I presumed nothing was broken which was my worry so will see how we go. It's just weird that he's not had a major bang to it but now this. Thanks for the quick response x x

Bless him, he's trying his hardest to be normal but he's obviously hurting :( thanks for the reassurance, after he'd hopped round fine I presumed nothing was broken which was my worry so will see how we go. It's just weird that he's not had a major bang to it but now this. Thanks for the quick response x x

Yeah, if he's hopping round you wouldn't think anything was broken, and especially if he had used it for cleaning himself.

Maybe try reducing his enclosure size if possible? Is he outdoors or indoors? The best thing would probably be for him to rest it as much as possible. Hopefully the Metacam will kick in soon.x

ETA: my bun injured it after jumping from her hutch roof and landing awkwardly! Maybe he did something like this and banging it on the litter tray made it worse? I agree it doesn't seem like much by itself!

They're indoors, free range in the kitchen, he was fine when he came for his crunchie, and not fine when he'd eaten it. He's not moving much so I think he's kinda sussed the sitting still bit. Bless him, Ellie is being the perfect nurse maid and giving him a head to tail wash currently :)

It's worth checking that his nails & dew claws are pointing the right way & haven't torn.

Sorry, only just seen this :oops: the vet had a good look at his claws when I took him on thurs night, I'm keeping a close eye on him. We're calling it tap dancing cos when he's stood still he lifts his paw up and down a lot, doing this a bit less now and he's walking on it so figuring he's getting back on track. Still on Metacam...much to his disgust!!

Back