• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible Head Tilt / EC?

My bunny Munchkin hasn't been very well recently. Shes always been a very hyper bunny and doesnt isnt nice seeing her so ill! :(
She had been looking down and not eating much for 2 days, when i put her back in her hutch she kept stumbling and falling over bumping into the sides.
I didn't know what to do so took her straight to the vets

The vets have prescribed Baytrill 1ml daily for 21 days and Panacur for 9 days

Have read a few topics and a lot have said she should be on Panacur for 28 days?

The last few days shes been getting better - back eating and more active, not back to normal as shes resting a lot more than she has before, just lying down on the rug in the lounge or by me when im on the computer!
But today she seems to be worse again! She is stumbling around a bit more today and shaking her head and losing her balance a bit and can see her head tilting a bit.

Is there anything else she should be on? will she get better with a longer treatment of Panacur? (Shes been on it for nearly 9 days now, sometimes its very hard getting it in her as she really fights me when I try to give her a syringe with it in her mouth, but not sure how else I can)

Thanks
Kelly (and Munchkin)

Last edited:
Sorry to read your little bun is unwell. Headtilt can be caused by EC or an ear infection. The baytril will help with an infection and panacur is for the EC.As EC spores can live outside the body for up to 28 days, that is the reason why a 28 day dose of panacur is needed. You should also aim to bleach clean all that you can - one part bleach / nine parts water and leave it on for 30 seconds before rinsing off thoroughly.

What is really needed is a rabbit savvy vet and metacam or similar as whether it is an ear infection or EC I should imagine your bun will be in pain. Metacam is an anti inflammatory so helps with the pain and inflammation caused by an ear infection (we all know what earache is like) and if it is EC it will help with the brain swelling that causes the symptoms of head tilt you see with this parasite.

If you have any other buns they too should be treated with panacur just in case.

If it isn't EC, the panacur won't do them any harm. I think it is best to cover all bases.

I don't know if your bun has EC or not but I know with my bun who had a severe case of EC, she got worse before she got better. Our vet said that many people have their buns put to sleep as they see them as being so unwell and believe they can never recover - they can and do!

Get a rabbit savvy vet on your side and that is half the battle.

Good luck! :wave:

Hi, Thanks for the reply!

I will go to the vets tomorrow and ask about the Panacur for 28 days, he said to give it her for 9 days and repeat in a months time - but ive used a bit more than i should have as Munchkin fights me to not have it so ends up going over me instead! - Will ask about metacam too!
When I first saw her falling/stumbling It was gone 6pm and panicked and didnt know where to take her, so rang local pets at home and took her there as she isnt registered with any vets before!

I dont have any other bunnys and shes indoor only too!
Will give everything a good clean - she is litter trained but will give everywhere a good clean.
Is bleach Ok to use to clean everything? wasnt sure!

Ive put her back in her old hutch for now too, its smaller but at least its all one level so she cant fall and hurt herself!

Excellent advice above.

Definitely go for a 28 day course of Panacur. You can get it from places other than a vet as it is not a prescription medicine, although you may be asked for your address. I bought some yesterday from my hay supplier. Places like VetUK (online) also stock it and deliver very quickly.

There are many threads on here about head tilt bunnies. They seem to be on a bit of a rollercoaster to recovery - sometimes getting a bit better then worse again.

If it is an infection, baytrill is usually given.

Metacam is the only thing that you haven't got - and that is only on prescription.

I am going through exactly the same thing with one of my bunnies. The panacur paste is not easy to get into a bunny with severe head tilt. I have been putting it on a plastic spoon and sort of scraping it into her mouth.

I got the liquid version yesterday as it was easier to get an accurate dose straight into their mouths with a 1ml syringe. Now I have several bunnies to treat just in case, I find it easier and a little less messy. They still don't like the taste, though.

I agree with all the above advice, I would only add have you tried putting the panacur on weetabix? It worked for my buns, syringing was proving to be a nightmare xx

WIll give that a try! Ive tried putting on some greens and folded it over so couldnt see it but she ate around it, then had to try again hiding the paste until she finally ate it!

Totally agree with the 28 days. You need to bleach clean on days 21 and 28 as that is when the spores are excreted. They are excreted via urine so if she has a litter tray for her hay you may want to find an alternative way of feeding it (rack, bowl) so she can't wee on it and re-infect herself.

I also agree with the metacam.

The shaking of the head sounds like a classic sign of an ear infection, I'd ask the vet to check her ears. My bun pansy developed head tilt due to ear infection, she was given Depocillin injections which helped clear it, she has all sorts of other problems as well which seem to be linked :(

Went back to the vets and bought some more Panacur to do the full 28 days!
She's still eating and walking around but just a bit unsteady on her feet still and can see she's still got a bit of head tilted

How long till I should see more of an improvement if it is an ear infection?

I've gone away for 2 days and it was so hard to leave her!! I really wanted to cancel so could stay and keep an eye on her!
She's at my dads for a few days and getting pics/updates how she is!!

If it's an ear infection it will very much depend on which part is infected if it's a middle ear infection baytril sometimes isn't strong enough to penetrate so she might need other antibiotics has the vet looked down her ears with a scope?
Sending vibes for her

They did look in her ears but couldnt see any sign of an ear infection!
Ive been given another week of Baytril to take it to 3 weeks in total and carrying on with the Panacur
Just concerned that shes not better! :(

She is eating, drinking and everything - not as much i dont think, and is coming out her hutch and having a wonder round the living room but seems to hide in the corner a lot more and looks sad :(

So hard trying to give her the Baytril / Panacur too!!

Got my next vets appointment on Tuesday!

I took munchkin to the vets again today!
Her head tilt is still really bad and she topples over a lot

He gave her a steroid injection and said to continue with the Panacur and have a few days left of Baytril but I don't know now...
He didn't seem too optimistic about her chances but after reading a lot on here I don't know if she's on the best treatment!

:(

Whereabouts are you? You really need to see a rabbit savvy vet and unfortunately most aren't so maybe we could suggest one in your area. I'm sorry you and Munchkin are going through this.

Hiya, she definitely needs metacam whether it is EC or an ear infection. I hope you can find a better vet. Does she like banana? It's not usually advised for rabbits as it is high in sugar, but if my rabbits need meds they will take them 99% of the time if they are mashed up in a slice of banana. Might be worth a try :wave: and my vet doesn't give baytril for ear infections, they give antibiotic ear drops as topical antibiotics tend to work better in ears than systemic ones :wave:

Right if you start a new thread in Rabbit chat where more can see it asking for a vet in your area and how far you can travel you will get some suggestions hopefully. :wave:

I asked about metacam but he didn't want to give it her and said that Baytril is strong too! :(

Did some googling and found an article from a blog from another vets who had a rabbit with EC - ages ago but might be worth asking them!

http://www.wwvs.co.uk/newsarticle.php?cid=NTYz&opcid=NTYz

I think they may have my details too as they took on all the patients details after the petstop vets closed down so will give them a call in the morning!

Oh and munchkin loves banana! Don't really usually let her have it but if I have one she usually tries to steal it from me! Even the skin! - munchkin eats anything (or did when she was feeling better)

When I unpack my shopping if I've got anything like chocolate in there's she steals it! End up chasing her round the sofa and trying to hide with a multipack in her mouth as she knows she's not meant to have it!

She's not better yet! Not sure if the steroid has done anything!
Meant to take her back on Saturday for another injection!

What's next? She has one day left of Baytril too! How long can she be on that for?
And still has just under a week of Panacur too

When can we try metacam now she's had a steroid injection? Hmm

Back