• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hips and Spine

I have a female lion head she is 1 year old and is fairly small she ways around 1.5kg but when i stroke her i can feel her hips and spine. i try to give her more food but it doesnt work is. My mum thinks it could be diabetes

I have a female lion head she is 1 year old and is fairly small she ways around 1.5kg but when i stroke her i can feel her hips and spine. i try to give her more food but it doesnt work is. My mum thinks it could be diabetes

What makes your mum think that?

The only way to find out if there is a problem is to take her to be checked over by your vet, which is what I would do.

When you say you try to give her more food, what are you feeding her?

Because she was researching it and I try and give her more pellets

I wouldn't advise increasing pellets - the amount generally recommended is an eggcupful a day for an adult rabbit.

Hay is the most important part of a rabbit's diet - should be 80-90% good quality hay. Is your rabbit a good hay eater? Green leafy veg (such as spring greens) are also good.

I still recommend a visit to the vet - it is impossible to diagnose what is wrong without this: it could be any number of things, including problems with her teeth.

she has always been small as her where she was before her sisters attacked her so she wouldnt get anyfood and just to double check should you be able to feel the hips a little bit and she isnt aloud greens as it give her a runny bum but she has around a 60ml scoop of pellets aday as that keeps her at a healthy weight she is a bigger hay eater than my other rabbit

she has always been small as her where she was before her sisters attacked her so she wouldnt get anyfood and just to double check should you be able to feel the hips a little bit and she isnt aloud greens as it give her a runny bum but she has around a 60ml scoop of pellets aday as that keeps her at a healthy weight she is a bigger hay eater than my other rabbit

Do you not want to take her to the vet, then, to be checked over? It is always better to be safe than sorry and I don't think I can advise you any further.

The pelvis and ribs should be easily palpated with rounded edges - like a pocket full of pens - so its normal to feel some ribs. If they are sharp then bun is underweight. If you cant feel any ribs at all the bun is overweight.

Is she losing weight or just not putting it on? How often do you weigh her?

Back