• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indian Meal Moths

icklepxy

Alpha Buck
Wasn't sure where to put this exactly so thought this was the best place for it...

Has anyone else had problems with Indian Meal moths? We have had an issue in our house recently and I'm worried about all the dry goods in the bunny room.

Does anyone know if they will get in the grass and hey or just the pellets? And any tips and tricks to get rid of the little suckers?

Thanks! :wave:

Yes, I've had them hatch out of some guinea pig food once (years ago now - it was some sort of muesli). They like the air to be warm and moist. I don't think they are so keen on hay, but I have a feeling that they will go for it too.

You can buy sticky pads with pheromones on that attract the males, which stops them from breeding (I think it's the males anyway!) You put them on the wall.

Yes. Supreme pet foods are the worst in my opinion. There large bags of rat food quite often have them in them so I no longer buy the large bags. The maggots crawl up your walls, it's not nice!
I've never had them get into the kitchen but I usually kill them to be honest and double bag and bin the infected food.

Yes, in the summer you see moths circling the Supreme bags in pet shops, especially the ones that have been made up from the bigger bags.

Ooh I'll never forget the sight of those maggots all over my walls. :shock:

Yes, in the summer you see moths circling the Supreme bags in pet shops, especially the ones that have been made up from the bigger bags.

Ooh I'll never forget the sight of those maggots all over my walls. :shock:

Glad someone else is equally scarred! :thumb: I've told supreme no end of times. The large bags have tiny holes in them which is where they get in. The small bags are fine.

* away to check my bag of supreme * I had one of these on my wall but wasn't sure what it was, yuck, :(

all good yay, :D

Last edited:
Glad someone else is equally scarred! :thumb: I've told supreme no end of times. The large bags have tiny holes in them which is where they get in. The small bags are fine.

The daft thing was that my OH had been in that room to feed the piggies about an hour before I went in and discovered them. He must have been seriously half asleep not to notice all those things wriggling around the walls! :shock:

They're aweful! We couldn't figure out what they were eating or where they were coming from till we discovered the bowl of chocolates in the front room had been nibbled on so that's probably where they originated but now that's gone I'm worried they'll move on to the bunny foods and get in there. And they have SUCH a long life cycle, especially now it's colder! Will be looking into the sticky traps for sure.

Nice to know I'm not the only one to suffer :wave:

Back