• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sitter or boarding? 3 days away

Jesselle

Mama Doe
Hi

My other half and I will be away for definite from Xmas eve morning to Boxing Day late evening. I may possibly be away an extra day.

Is it worth having Neville go into boarding for 3-4 days during the Xmas period? Or would he be better off having his pen extended (to the size of the room his current pen is in) and having a sitter visit twice a day?

He's currently alone as he's new to us and not neutered yet, so I'd be asking a sitter to spend some time with him during visits.

Any advice would be much appreciated! :)

I'd always go for boarding myself, just because it's quite a long time for a bunny to be alone from morning to evening and if something was wrong it wouldn't be noticed until a lot later than in boarding. If the sitter would come in 3 times a day it'd be different I think, but if it was only morning and evening, I'd go for boarding :wave:

I prefer boarding, but I think you may struggle to find any boarding spaces for the Christmas period at this stage - let alone ones that're indoors. Obviously he can't go outdoors if he's used to being indoors. So you might have to end up going with a sitter if you can find one - otherwise you might have to take him with you if there's nobody that has the space available.

Thanks for the replies - I did think it may be too late to find boarding and I also agree re spotting whether something is wrong. Sitter may be my only option this late in game.

I'm considering the prospect of taking him with me.

Thanks all for your thoughts!

I'd always go for boarding myself, just because it's quite a long time for a bunny to be alone from morning to evening and if something was wrong it wouldn't be noticed until a lot later than in boarding. If the sitter would come in 3 times a day it'd be different I think, but if it was only morning and evening, I'd go for boarding :wave:

I leave my buns alone from morning til evening most days because I'm at work. Do you mean it's a long time for a single bunny? Surely in boarding they're not being watched at all hours?

I leave my buns alone from morning til evening most days because I'm at work. Do you mean it's a long time for a single bunny? Surely in boarding they're not being watched at all hours?

My single bunny is left on his own whilst im out at work in the day. I do feel bad incase hes lonely but when I do have a day off he usually sleeps all day anyway. Hes always excited to see me in the morns and evenings but I guess thats partly because its food time !

Sent from my GT-I9505

My single bunny is left on his own whilst im out at work in the day. I do feel bad incase hes lonely but when I do have a day off he usually sleeps all day anyway. Hes always excited to see me in the morns and evenings but I guess thats partly because its food time !

Sent from my GT-I9505

Similarly to you guys, when I work bunny is left alone for 10 hrs. Granted I work 3 days a week, which is why I felt confident in taking Neville on as a single until I can get him a friend.

I actually have no choice but to go with the pet sitter. There will only be one day that Neville is completely alone with only pet sitter visits, so I'm hoping he'll be ok. She's coming on Sunday to chat and to see the set up here :)

Last edited:
To be honest, it is very late in the day to book boarding/ pet sitter. I hope you mange to find someone or somewhere perfect to care for your bunny.

IMO from 11 years of doing bunny boarding, with the exception of me sleeping from around 10pm until 6.30am, the bunnies are checked on between every 2 to 3 hours whilst in my care. At the times of extreme temperatures even more frequently.

I use housesitter for my housebun, thankfully they are friends who are willing to actually live in while we are away. My bun is old at 8 and any change to his routine or place really freaks him and he stops eating so boarding would be very risky whereas as long as he is in usual surroundings etc he is not fussed who feeds him and fusses him:roll:

Back