• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best antibiotics for snuffles

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
As per the title because I now have a thread in health and a poorly bunny :( We had a previous snuffles bunny who was treated by an incompetent locum with just baytril. This time we have a better service and want to know if there is anything better than baytril.

It is not a case of a 'better' abx, no abx will work if the bacteria involved is resistant to it. Baytril is a good broad spectrum abx and it is the only one licensed for use in Rabbits. In order to abide by the Veterinary Prescribing Cascade a Vet has to have a good clinical reason to go 'off license at the outset. Hence Baytril is used in the first instance more often than not.

http://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/pdf/vmgn/VMGNote13.pdf

Hope Paddy responds well to treatment :)

both Honey and Charlie had snuffles quite badly- we tried everything oral medicine wise but nothing helped. Eventually they were given Amoxycillin injections once every week for....a few months i think....until it went away. they also had probiotics. amazingly they have been completely cured ever since. my vet was rabbit savvy and really new what she was doing.

i should point out that we couldnt do a c&c test as the snuffles was so bad we didnt want to risk coming off any abx long enough to get a good result. sso this was the best option for us

Thanks ladies, I realized after posting that of course they would have to take a culture to find out what treatment will work best. *slaps forehead*

I have cleaned Paddy up and he seems mostly ok for now, breathing still a wee bit noisy but eating well.

I had a bunny who had re occurent snuffles....he had bayril...snuffles returned and then he had septrin. Snuffles returned so the vet decided to do a nasal swab while he was under GA and also they burred some small molar spurs. The swab results showed that the bacteria which was in large amounts in his nose actually needed to be treated with baytril. Strangely after that which was over a year ago he has not had snuffles since so whether it was due to the molar spurs or the antibiotic did actually kill the bacteria I'm not sure. I would try a long 21 day course of baytil first then if that doesn't work try another antibiotic. If it returns a third time I would ask for a nasal swab plus teeth check to be done under GA.

I had a bunny who had re occurent snuffles....he had bayril...snuffles returned and then he had septrin. Snuffles returned so the vet decided to do a nasal swab while he was under GA and also they burred some small molar spurs. The swab results showed that the bacteria which was in large amounts in his nose actually needed to be treated with baytril. Strangely after that which was over a year ago he has not had snuffles since so whether it was due to the molar spurs or the antibiotic did actually kill the bacteria I'm not sure. I would try a long 21 day course of baytil first then if that doesn't work try another antibiotic. If it returns a third time I would ask for a nasal swab plus teeth check to be done under GA.

Thanks for this, I did wonder if spurs could irritate or aggravate in my last snuffles bun. I have also wondered if tiny buns which Paddy is (1.5KG) are more prone to respiratory issues because they have a smaller lung capacity. Donovan was a small petite bunny as well (1.6KG) and they are both Dutchies so then again maybe its a genetic thing. My other Dutchies are bigger and much fatter but completely healthy but maybe they have bigger lungs :?

Both vets had a look at Paddy today and decided he is in the early stages of a pasturella bout, there was no discharge present so it was not possible to do a culture but if it becomes present I have to take him back and not wipe his nose so they can do one. Obviously if his symptoms worsen than we would ask about a nasal swab.
In the meantime he got a baytril shot and oral baytril and Biosolvon to go home with. Its a week's worth so hopefully it will clear up. Its upper respiratory and he is producing excess caceals as a result as well, so in general his immune system is a bit iffy. He is still eating like a cheery maniac though which is a good sign.

Vets always seem to presume pasteurella which I'm not sure how as it could be any of bacteria causing the problem. My advice is to ask for a longer cause of baytril...7 days may not be enough which means the snuffles returns and the bacteria may become resistant...I would ring your vet and ask for a 21 day course. Also metacam is good to be prescribed alongside the baytril as it takes down any inflammation and makes it easier for the antibiotic to get to where it needs to so if your bunny is not on metacam then ask for that as well. The only way to do a proper nasal swab is to do it under GA when your bunny is not on antibiotics so they can get deep within the back of the nose.

All 5 of my rabbits have been on antibiotics for months for snuffles. A swab test showed it was pasturella multocida and that baytril, septrin and duphapen should be effective (swab was done after we'd tried all 3 of those meds without success) so we went back to baytril along with bisolvon. This course of baytril had been at least 4 months and no improvement. We then started nebulising with F10 antiseptic solution while still giving oral baytril & bisolvon. That made no difference either so we're now doing injectable 5% baytril mixed with saline solution in the nebuliser and parvolex mixed with some special kind of veterinary water in the nebuliser on opposite days (baytril one day and parvolex the next). This also isn't doing anything so not sure what else there is to try :/

I've been researching immunity boosting plants and have just started giving them echinacea. I'm hoping something works soon because it's dragging on forever and costing a fortune. The nebulising is doing my head in now as it takes 4 hours a day to do all 5 rabbits. I wouldn't mind if I thought it was actually working but i'm pretty sure it's not :(

Back