• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Looks like Paddy has snuffles

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
Paddy had a white discharge coming out of one nostril today, thick and white like . When he breathes it sounds like he is chuffing through his nose like someone with a cold might. I have had a rabbit that suffered from a milder form before. So needless to say Paddy is going to the vet. he has had a seizure in the past, anyone know if there is a link between seizures and snuffles?

Also what are the best abx to get for him? The previous bunny was given baytril but is there something better?

Thanks, he is in the early stages, no discharge present so culture was not possible. I have to take him back if he has discharge again but in the meantime he got a baytril shot and oral baytril and Biosolvon to go home with. Its a week's worth so hopefully it will clear up. Its upper respiratory and he is producing excess caceals as a result as well, so in general his immune system is a bit iffy. He is still eating like a cheery maniac though which is a good sign.

Did the Vet check his teeth ? Some Dental problems can present as Snuffles like symptoms and 'not eating cecals'

Sending vibes for him xx

Is he on any metacam? I found it helped with the breathing, and of course made poor bunny feel a bit better. It being an anti-inflammatory helps.

I also found that any antibiotics needed to be taken for a lot more than the usual 5-7 days. My buns always get Septrin.

Remember too, the culture needs to be done when they are off antibiotics :wave:

Hope he feels better soon.

Back