• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes & Paraffin Question UD She's Gone :(

Captain Helen

Wise Old Thumper
New girl Custard is quite poorly :( She's barely eaten and hasn't pooped for days. All the usual drugs and sub cut fluids haven't helped. I think stress started it, but I can't get her out of it.

Unfortunately the good vet is on holiday this week. I've insisted on xrays today which she's having now. The vet we saw recommended liquid paraffin. I explained why I didn't agree with it, but he wasn't convinced. Can anyone link an article on why it's bad or quote something from a book by FHB or similar in case he mentions it again?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I just googled this for you and in 2008 JJ did not recommend liquid paraffin because it coats the impaction which restricts fluid getting in. I didn't read all of it so there's a lot more talk about it. Sorry have to go.

I am interested in answers to this as well. One vet at my practice still likes to use liquid paraffin :(

Vibes for Custard :cry: x

Thank you x

I just googled this for you and in 2008 JJ did not recommend liquid paraffin because it coats the impaction which restricts fluid getting in. I didn't read all of it so there's a lot more talk about it. Sorry have to go.

Thank you, that's what I told the vet, but he said "it works for some rabbits" :? A quote from FHB may convince him.

LP used *after* the Rabbit has received aggressive fluid therapy (IV or SQ as well as oral) might be appropriate in some cases of cecal impaction. But personally I prefer to use lactulose as it is an osmotic laxative which encourages water into the bowel thus rehydrating the impacted matter rather than just coating it with oil.

FHB does state that using LP in certain circumstances may be appropriate, as does Molly Varga who has edited and updated The Textbook of Rabbit Medicine

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...e&q=rabbit gut stasis liquid paraffin&f=false

LP is not suitable in all cases and is never suitable without simultaneous aggressive fluid therapy

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/GastricStasis_Rabbits.htm

LP used *after* the Rabbit has received aggressive fluid therapy (IV or SQ as well as oral) might be appropriate in some cases of cecal impaction. But personally I prefer to use lactulose as it is an osmotic laxative which encourages water into the bowel thus rehydrating the impacted matter rather than just coating it with oil.

FHB does state that using LP in certain circumstances may be appropriate, as does Molly Varga who has edited and updated The Textbook of Rabbit Medicine

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...e&q=rabbit gut stasis liquid paraffin&f=false

LP is not suitable in all cases and is never suitable without simultaneous aggressive fluid therapy

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/GastricStasis_Rabbits.htm

Perfect, thank you. She had subcut fluids on Saturday, despite the vet saying she wasn't dehydrated. Today's vet said the same, but I asked for either subcut or IV fluid to be given while she's in. I don't know if he will :? So she hasn't had aggressive fluid therapy yet.

All three vets we've seen have ruled out a blockage, but can feel something hard, the first two thought it was in the area of her uterus (she's 1 year old and unspayed) the third thought it could be her bladder.

With no output since Thursday I'm not happy to syringe feed without xrays completely ruling out a blockage. She's only nibbled a small amount of grass and dandelions over the weekend. She's still quite bright, but she's very easily stressed.

Still no news from the vet :( I'm hoping that's because the xrays have shown nothing and they're letting her come around fully before calling.

Hi capt.Helen :wave:

I'm useless and have no words of wisdom to offer, :oops: but wanted to offer my thoughts and (((vibes))) to Custard.xxx
Hope you are ok.xxx

Thanks guys :)

The xrays showed nothing sinister, just a caecum full of gas. It looks like food is slowly moving through her. So the plan is to keep going with the drugs and the syringe feeding.

She's remarkably bright for a bun that has barely eaten or pooped for days. She has a little nibble of grass every now and again, but I can't find any more of her favourite dandelions :(

Oh my god she just ate a caecal! :D:D:D

Thanks guys :)

The xrays showed nothing sinister, just a caecum full of gas. It looks like food is slowly moving through her. So the plan is to keep going with the drugs and the syringe feeding.

She's remarkably bright for a bun that has barely eaten or pooped for days. She has a little nibble of grass every now and again, but I can't find any more of her favourite dandelions :(

Oh my god she just ate a caecal! :D:D:D

Wahoo! Output! Way to go Custard :thumb:

Wahoo! Output! Way to go Custard :thumb:

There was more! A big pile of caecals with about 10 tiny poops :D Then she had a munch on some grass :D

Is there anything more stressful than waiting for a bun to poo?! :lol: I don't think I've ever been so happy to see poo! :D

There was more! A big pile of caecals with about 10 tiny poops :D Then she had a munch on some grass :D

Is there anything more stressful than waiting for a bun to poo?! :lol: I don't think I've ever been so happy to see poo! :D

:lol::lol::lol:

Only here do people understand the happiness of bunny poo... :lol: (should have heard my squeees when Phoebe produced her first golden poops... :lol:;))

Well done Custard! Keep em coming girly! :D

After the first pile of poo there was none more for hours, then another pile this morning followed by none for hours. It seems to be coming out in bursts, both caecals and faeces. She's still only nibbling occasionally by herself.

So we've still got a long way to go :(

Here are some pics from last night. Her hospital pen:

Ignoring a fenugreek crunchie :(

Enjoying some strokes but looking a mess from the syringe feeding...

And nibbling some grass :)

Hi Helen

I hope Custard is still improving our thoughts are with you as we know what its like waiting for them to eat on there own and poop as well.

Vibes to Custard.

Les Bev & Dash
xxx

Back