• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help me to make their runs safer

marchi1990

Mama Doe
Last night we had a very unwelcome visit from a fox who so sadly killed our chickens and ducks :(

I'm panicking and have turned into full-on safety mode.

Now, a couple of my rabbits have these runs attached to their sheds:

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/rabbit-folding-run-by-pets-at-home-31898

How would you make these safer? What locks would you put on the tops? I currently have weights on them but this isn't enough and need to get this sorted ASAP. Please help.

Sorry you lost some animals :cry:

I have two of these runs the measures I have taken are:
- second layer of mesh on all sides secured with strong staples, this goes all the way from floor to top so there is no unmeshed wood on the outside
- planks of wood nailed to the roof and then a layer of mesh over the top of that so a fox standing on top couldn't break the roof in
- also one of my two runs has a side door as well as an opening lid but this didn't look very secure so I've bolted it permanently shut.

If any of this doesn't make sense I can post pictures tomorrow. Good luck fox proofing I had a scare a while ago and it is very frightening.

Sorry you lost some animals :cry:

I have two of these runs the measures I have taken are:
- second layer of mesh on all sides secured with strong staples, this goes all the way from floor to top so there is no unmeshed wood on the outside
- planks of wood nailed to the roof and then a layer of mesh over the top of that so a fox standing on top couldn't break the roof in
- also one of my two runs has a side door as well as an opening lid but this didn't look very secure so I've bolted it permanently shut.

If any of this doesn't make sense I can post pictures tomorrow. Good luck fox proofing I had a scare a while ago and it is very frightening.

That all sounds very good - if you could post pics I would SO appreciate it so I can get an image of exactly what you've done :thumb:

Is their run on grass or paving slabs?

If on grass, you could dig up top layer of grass and sink mesh underneath. I wouldn't advise meshing the bottom of the run unless it is covered in grass as I don't think it is comfortable or good for rabbits' feet.

These are the sides of my runs, just a second layer of mesh stapled to the outside:
20131202_081207.jpg

And this is what I mean about the roof. I am still in the process of finishing this run so I've done the wooden planks as you can see, screwed in with metal brackets/plates. Then I will get a layer of mesh over the top and staple it all around. I've only done one plank on each quarter of the run lid but you could do more.
20131202_081224.jpg

These are the sides of my runs, just a second layer of mesh stapled to the outside:
20131202_081207.jpg

And this is what I mean about the roof. I am still in the process of finishing this run so I've done the wooden planks as you can see, screwed in with metal brackets/plates. Then I will get a layer of mesh over the top and staple it all around. I've only done one plank on each quarter of the run lid but you could do more.
20131202_081224.jpg

Great suggestions :thumb::thumb: thank you so much

The best size mesh to get is 1 x 1/2 inch at biggest, preferably 1/2 x 1/2 inch. This means that the fox can't get any claws/teeth through. A double layer is fantastic as it puts a gap between both layers too :D

Had NO idea they did it there!!

It's £2.50 a roll on their website at the mo, I think a roll is 60cm by about 2m. It is proper galvanised wire, 1cm-ish squares. As far as I can tell it is exactly the same as any other mesh. My local store don't stock it anymore but I've just ordered 5 rolls online to be delivered to the store.

Back