• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Popcorn as a very occasional treat?

Whitelighter

Warren Scout
I stopped my boy feeding his popcorn (well trying to) to the buns.

I did wonder if it would be safe for them or not.

My gut said not.

Best not to to be honest. Stick to herbs and a grape for an occasional treat :) goes down a treat. Or carrot shavings!

That's what I thought.

Treats are limited to fenugreek crunchies and the very occasional small chunk of banana

Yep that is best :) You could also try fresh greens, especially herbs, as buns love these and they are better for them than fenugreek crunchies.

Unpopped kernals (like the dried corn treats you see for hamsters in pet shops) can cause impaction (and hence can be lethal), and whilst I imagine popcorn wouldn't be quite as bad due to the corn being 'popped', I wouldn't like to risk it. Plus, the amount of fat, sugar and salt on commercial popcorn is bad.

Grains, wheat, rice, corn etc are not suitable for bunnies and is prone to upsetting their delicate gut flora.

Unfortunately most commercial rabbit treats are based on grains so labels need to be read carefully

Grains, wheat, rice, corn etc are not suitable for bunnies and is prone to upsetting their delicate gut flora.

Unfortunately most commercial rabbit treats are based on grains so labels need to be read carefully

I looked up the ingredients to rabbit royale and it has lots of oats in... oh dear.

Back