• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Collecting baby bun - do I take Mum with me?

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
A couple of weeks ago I took a 2 yr old lop-eared bunny from some people. She was very skinny (she is doing well) and a few days ago the same people were advertising a baby rabbit 4 months old. I wondered at the time if the older one had had babies recently as she smelt of milk. Anyway this is a daughter of hers and I hope to put them back together. I can't decide whether to take Mum with me or not. I don't want to upset her by taking her in the car but it would be nice for baby to have company on the way home. What do you think?

June popped in to see the 2 new arrivals and she really likes them. They are looking for 2 rabbits so all we need is Barry's stamp of approval, maybe tomorrow. They will have their own small room up there - from rags to riches. They are really sweet, almost Nethies but longer ears. One pale grey the other dark grey, she is the shy one.

Last edited:
No. You should keep them separate until they are spayed and new bun should be quarantened so not to pass anything on.

Luckily I didn't take Mum as when I arrived they asked me if I would like both sisters, she said I could have them for £30.00! I don't understand but they took them away from Mum at 1 day old and just let them feed from her every day until they were weaned. They were frightened Mum would hurt them. So it is doubtful as to whether I would be able to put them with Mum anyway. Still at least they are together.

They said they had been eating normal rabbit food which they get at Morrisons so I called in to buy some but the only food I saw was wagg BB so I assume that must be what they have been eating. They apparently didn't have any left to offer me! I saw these 2 when I collected Mum a couple of weeks ago and there was nothing in their hutch except black shavings, not a strand of hay, no water. I hope these Spartan conditions won't have repercussions on their future health. Only time will tell.

I am now going to get a 2-tier hutch made up with lots of hay, clean water etc and pop them in. They are not 4 months old as in the ad but 5-6 months. I wonder if Mum had had more babies and they are keeping those?

Our Morrisons also sells Harringtons so they could have been on that too. Just a thought in case they don't seem interested in Wagg.

Back