• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Illegitimate children...

Beaumont

New Kit
Hi there, I need your help! long story, and I could probably do this better, but I thought I might as well begin at the top, so bare with, thank you...

I've had a neutered mini lop male for 2 years now, in April, we rescued a very young female to keep him company. They bonded well, until the female came of age and decided to be a boy. So... They were separated and living in two different rooms to avoid any future bust-ups. The little boy has stayed un neutered partly for financial reasons, but mostly just because we're not sure if he'll be staying with us.

Next chapter; the dewlap years
Around September we rescued another (unspayed) female (a real one this time), and the bonding process with my original buck went smoothly, but they're definitely more friends than boyfriend and girlfriend. She's booked in to be spayed after Christmas.

Here it comes...
One night my partner and I went out, and left my mother in charge; she's usually fairly capable about that sort of thing, and the buns are no fuss. We returned a couple of hours later to find the un neutered male in the room with the other two, there had obviously been a fight between the males, the un neutered guy was the one laid out in the middle of the floor, so I'm guessing he won. So yes, it is fairly likely we have a pregnancy on our hands. We have learn tour lesson and put them in the hutch not just for night time, but if we're leaving them for anything over 3 minutes, as mother clearly can't be trusted to close doors properly (she has been told off). But now I'm a bit stuck.

This happened one week ago, and incidentally the neutered male has since started mounting her, but she is already pulling fur out her dewlap. Could be a false pregnancy, could even be stress? But assuming it's for real and nevertheless - do I have to separate the bonded couple (neutered male + female) from this point on? Will the neutered male know she's not preggers with him? Will he reject her/her kits? Seems such a shame to split them as I'm worried they won't come back from it, but obviously if needs must, then that's that.

Arrrgh.

Thank you very much, and you deserve a medal if you read this til the end.

Maddie (human), Luke (human), Beaumont (neutered male), Poppy/Pepé (un neutered male) and Agnes (female/harlot)

I would also take her for the spay, if you leave them together she will turn on the neutered buck by chasing him and biting him, a pregnant female becomes very territorial and the bond will be broken then any way , so best to bring the spay forward, also by letting her have the babies it would be adding to the amount of rabbits already here, and there are far to many looking for new homes, best of luck

Whatever you decide re; spay/keeping babies you will need to separate them. In the longer term they can go back together once she is spayed.

I do hope for your sake that it is a false alarm ... Best of luck.

I would get your other buck neutered asap. Being shut in hutches is not fun for them.

Back