• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My first attempt at an indoor bunny house

Whitelighter

Warren Scout
I know it's not as plush as some if the things outdoor bunnies have, but our house is small so I don't have much room. She will still get to free range in the living room but hopefully this set up might encourage her to keep a bit more of her mess in her area.

It's a bit short of toys, but in addition to the hanging chew, igloo and red tunnel (added after pics) I have some willow balls and a log feeder arriving next week.

Also, the link to the 3rd floor will be an angled tunnel - not found one suitable yet (apart from the one my parents keep their garden parasol in but they seem unwilling to let me lop / ft off the top!)

Floor is raised to give a recessed litter tray and in time a digging tray.

Anyway some pics:

AA6ABFC9-F910-40FF-9AF6-471EB142CAE3.jpg

92BDDA79-F7EB-41A9-A9A0-59350165635A.jpg

C93DC5DA-883B-4723-9365-3564BA0B78DE.jpg

24F84C80-C2FF-4396-A817-E970BE804125.jpg

Yes, that's very impressive - but, I agree, could you add a run to it, using panels perhaps, to give a bit more room?

ETA Our posts crossed - I misunderstood as I thought she would be shut in there when you weren't around or in bed.

I think we've got some misunderstandings here due to cross-posting!

That is a fine base for her food and litter tray! :wave:

Sorry!

I think because on another thread you were looking for overnight housing to protect your furniture, in which case a puppy pen attached to a crate over night would be better as even the largest crate is only 4ft x 2ft so not very big. But if she's always free range then great, looks really nice.

I think because on another thread you were looking for overnight housing to protect your furniture, in which case a puppy pen attached to a crate over night would be better as even the largest crate is only 4ft x 2ft so not very big. But if she's always free range then great, looks really nice.

Yep, decided to extensively bunny proof so now the furniture is out of danger

Are they lino tiles or 'scraps' of lino you've used? I need to find a bit for the bunnies new dog bed as it has holes in the bottom.. But unless I buy a massive roll I can't find smaller bits anywhere!

Aw lovely! Good luck with the keeping the mess refined to one area thing ;) Also this is probably stupid but is there something at the base of the ladder to stop it slipping/falling away? I'm sure there is I just can't see anything in thr pic.

Lucky bunny. Sorry I haven't read your other posts- is she a baby? She looks tiny :love:

Nice little base you've got there :thumb:

To help keep mess in, some people create a border around the inside of the bars at the bottom - might be worth doing if she kicks out her hay/litter.

Also, if you have trouble finding a ladder/tunnel (I've found bunnies reluctant to use ramps at heights) then if you expand the top level over to overlap with the second floor she would be able to just jump. Or you could just have one larger second floor by lowering the third floor and joining up, which would give more floor space.

You may have already posted this somewhere but have you done a thread about your bunny proofing? Always good to get ideas and examples of bunny proofing. I'm on the look-out for ways that dont make the house look like a giant cage with all the mesh/puppy panels (like I had before), as hopefully next year I'll have the buns inside again.

Aw lovely! Good luck with the keeping the mess refined to one area thing ;) Also this is probably stupid but is there something at the base of the ladder to stop it slipping/falling away? I'm sure there is I just can't see anything in thr pic.

Lucky bunny. Sorry I haven't read your other posts- is she a baby? She looks tiny :love:

Hi

Ladder was fixed after the phots. It's secured with two hinges screwed into the top of the ladder/shelf. It hinges up for ease of cleaning

Poppy is one of a litter of 4 which came as a surprise from a school bunny we were looking after over the summer. She is just over 12 weeks, so still a baby

Back